Menu

Anyone else schedule afterschooling breaks?

I am curious how others plan time to rejuvenate? Even afterschooling through fun activities gets old after awhile. We took the month of February off because I was burnt out and I thought the kids were as well. By the end of February, one of my kids was accusing me off not loving her anymore because we weren't doing Latin and other academic afterschooling things. I've decided to take advice from a friend and try doing five weeks on/two weeks off. My first break begins next week. I'm OK doing more crafts/hands on activities and letting the house go a bit because I see an end in sight and I am so excited to quilt, purge a room and do other things during the next two weeks. I think this may work for us. Any other ideas to keep the flame burning in us (parents) when we have so much else on our plates?

We have slowed down a bit since daylight saving time. It is hard to come inside when it is still bright and sunny and we all want to be outside. Additionally, my older one (in kinder) is doing baseball and spring soccer. The little one is doing gymnastics and spring soccer. So between practices, games, and playing outside, less afterschooling is getting done. Instead of taking off a week or two at a time, we have gone down to doing two subjects a day (we pick from math, reading, and spelling) to just getting one done. And lately once a week nothing extra is getting done at home besides reading to the kids at bedtime.

My family fell sick in succession with flu this spring and I was burnt out and then my DS started baseball for spring in addition to his other sports. So, we are currently on break. We are not completely abandoning afterschooling - just doing math once a week and DreamBox twice a week. Reading is done daily before bedtime as readalouds and piano practice is done daily (can't drop that as the teacher wants to see weekly progress). I have let the rest slide (no latin, science). We have taken up a 5 week long "fun" project instead - to learn all about bunnies - where they live, their habitat, making bunny art work, sprouting seeds of foods that bunnies eat, cooking "bunny food" (recipes, measurements etc), reading bunny classics like Peter Rabbit, Winnie The Pooh series etc. I am beginning to enjoy this myself now!

We will be back to regularly scheduled programming in May (hopefully).