Menu

Balloon Animals for Parties?

Paige

My DS is working really hard to learn how to do balloon animals and sculpting. He wants to do parties for little kids to earn money for a car and then save for college. He's 11 but he plans to start when he's 12 and save up. Do you think you'd hire a 12yr old if you'd heard about him through friends, and how much would you pay for a party? I told him he'd need to charge less than an adult but he's happy when I pay him quarters so I don't think he'll ask too much. What animals/how many should he know how to do before he tries to do a party? What would you expect from someone you hired for a party? He wants to be good- not good for a kid.

He said he'd do some parties free to get his name out. He can do several animals/things right now and is planning on learning 2-4 a week until his birthday in Aug.

I want to encourage him and help him succeed but I don't want him to get his hopes too high.

If he can do the job, I don't think he needs to be paid less. Besides parties, I've seen balloon benders at fairs, library events and 'family nights' at restaurants (sit down and fast food). Ideally, he could meet a working balloon artist and ask questions about contracts, insurance etc.

A few notes:

A favorite balloon thing my kids received was very simple: a small round, clear balloon blown up with one edible necklace bead placed inside. You can get the 'bead' rolling around inside the balloon...pretty fast...it's fun! I think this gave the guy a chance to catch up when the line got long instead of making everyone something complicated. It's a nice alternative to a sword for something quick.

Long ago a balloon bender mentioned to us that balloon animals last in the freezer. We appreciated this advice because the kids could pop it in the freezer overnight and enjoy it for another day. This could also be helpful if your son needs to make samples.

Summer reading at libraries is often themed. If he can come up with items that fit the theme each year that could be a repeat gig.

Depending on where you live, could your son get a vendors license and preform street-art? Our downtown has pedestrian only side streets and a bustling artistic community. On weekends, we typically have several balloon artists, musicians, magicians, etc preforming with a "tip-bucket" in front. The most popular balloon artist charges only a dollar an item and always seems to be making his fair share of swords, 2-3 foot tall flowers, crowns, and small animals like dogs.

Good luck to your son!

Thanks for the ideas. He's excited. You wouldn't be put off by hiring someone so young? He's also very small for his age. He's about the size of an average 3rd grader. I was thinking of making him stay with private parties for people we know or friends of friends until he was older. I'd be afraid to put him on a street corner or in a public place dealing with strangers and money at this point.