Menu

Living Learning Books...Science. What do you think?

Jodie

Here's my review:

Living Learning Books website is: http://www.livinglearningbooks.com

We used LLB Earth/Sky for 2nd grade and LLB Chemistry for 3rd grade. My son is not particularly science oriented. Neither am I.

Pros:

• A good overall introduction

• A variety of topics were covered in an well-organized, easy-to-follow, clearly laid out manner (ie. easy for the teacher)

• I was able to obtain most of the supplementary books through the local library

• All supplies needed for the projects were readily available at home, the local grocery store, or the local Kmart.

• Lessons took approximately 30 minutes twice a week.

• Any religious overtones were kept in the appendix

• Inexpensive curriculum

Cons:

• It was “lite” ie. not particularly challenging or in depth

Overall, I was happy with the curriculum. My son enjoyed it and learned from it. I could have done a more thorough job if I had had the time and energy and desire to pull it all together myself, but I didn't. I would use it again given the choices available at the time.

REAL Science http://www.pandiapress.com was not available when we started LLB. If I had starting over, I would consider this. We used RS4K for 4th grade physics, and found it very expensive for a 10 week long program. We used Noeo Biology 2 for 5th grade, and I liked LLB better.

I purchased Earth Science/Astronomy and Chemistry. I *tried* to use Earth Science, but couldn't keep up. To work best, you either need to own the books from their recommended reading list OR be organized enough to stay on top of requesting them on a weekly basis from your library.

I quickly became discouraged because I would request the books from the library and then they would either not have them or they wouldn't arrive from another branch until AFTER the week they were scheduled.

Science is NOT my great love, so it has to be easy for me or it simply won't get done. I ended up selling my LLB and I'm going with Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry this year.

Living Learning Books...Science. What do you think? Someone suggested these and I would like to find people who have used them and see what you thought of them.

I used them a bit with my kids. We had most of the books available through our library. We just had a tough time fitting Science in but didn't really have a problem with the program, just a problem getting to it.

I have the teacher's manual with most student pages for sale on the for sale board.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45900&highlight=living+learning

Angela

We're using level 1 right now, and the "lite" aspect is good for our young learner. The structure makes it easy to change out activities or snacks as desired, and it gives me a nice simple template to build a little horse unit too.

It's just what I needed for my first year homeschooling! :001_smile:

I used level 1 with my 4 yr old this yr and we loved it. I have access to two library systems though and I'm very good about requesting stuff on time. I generally request 2 weeks in advance and sometimes more just so I'll have them on hand. We really enjoyed it and we are doing level 2 this fall.

For me, it was too simplistic and basic. BUT I think it provides exactly what a homeschooler looking for prepared science curriculum needs, it just doesn't have any jazz or bells and whistles. I have the Chemistry one and although it had some good books listed, I created my own list. My opinion is that it is a good program and will accomplish the job. Is it inspiring? No. It is likely to excite your child to become a scientist? Not on its own. I was very disappointed that "living books" were not offered although it is called Living Learning Books!

I create my own science plans so my standards are pretty high concerning science curricula. I have found nothing on the market that fits what I'm looking for concerning time involved, quality of experiments, overall cost, and presentation of materials that invoke of a love of science.

For me, it was too simplistic and basic. BUT I think it provides exactly what a homeschooler looking for prepared science curriculum needs, it just doesn't have any jazz or bells and whistles. I have the Chemistry one and although it had some good books listed, I created my own list. My opinion is that it is a good program and will accomplish the job. Is it inspiring? No. It is likely to excite your child to become a scientist? Not on its own. I was very disappointed that "living books" were not offered although it is called Living Learning Books!

I agree completely!