Menu

Bearded Dragon question

DragonFaerie

This might be somewhat....indelicate.....but I want to know. I keep seeing all these adorable pictures of folks with their bearded dragons riding around on their shoulders and playing with toys. What keeps the beardie from pooping and peeing everywhere while they're out playing? My son would love one for a pet, but I don't want to be following him around with a towel cleaning up after it.

We make sure ours have gone that day or give them a bath before the run around. They have never gone while being held.

They make lizzard leashes which I recommend (basically same as a ferret leash) because some beardies will JUMP (outcome not good). For them most part our guys are held while some one sits (usually reading a book or watching a movie).

God did NOT make bearded dragons to run... so they are easy to keep up with and easy to 'pose' for adorable pictures!

Beardie 'pee' is like bird pee-- it is solid and white... it comes out with the poo.

Beardie poo STINKS-- I wish I could emphasize it more -- S T I N K S! We have ours 'trained' to go on a paper towel in their enclosure. Acutally training is not the best term. Beardies tend to go in the same place each time... so if you clean up a mess then put a paper towel down the next mess will be easier to clean. (Baby beardies tend to go where they go... but after a few months they become predictable). I prefer they go in a bath-- then we just flush the water and the smell is instantly away.