Menu

Should I just give him a calculator already!?

My ds13, grade 7 is bombing his math tests. I haven't seen a grade over 70% in quite some time. It's not a matter of not understanding the concepts, it is purely attention errors. I am considering giving him a calculator for tests only, not lessons. Is this a good idea or am I just taking the easy way out?

I should mention that this is my boy with ASD, so attention issues are legitimate. It's not that he would just rather be doing something else and isn't bothering to try.

I would be extremely hesitant to hand him a calculator.

I haven't been in this situation with a 7th grader, so please take my advice under consideration with a grain of salt. If it doesn't work for you, then please don't hold it against me.

Maybe splitting the test into 2 sessions or even 2 days so he can work fewer problems with greater attention. Maybe a short break, a brisk walk and a snack of brain food between the sessions could help with his attention, though you know your child and his individual needs best.

How is he doing on the daily assignments and practice? Maybe doing a few drill problems could help?

I know I read on this forum that someone said they started everyday with math drill for everyone and they kept it up for years, even after the facts had been mastered just because it made the rest of the math day go that much smoother.

What material/topics is he covering? I know you said grade 7, but what exactly does that mean?

When he misses a problem due to arithmetic errors, are you counting off the whole problem or assigning half credit? In other words, is the 70% due to 70% of the problems being completely correct and the other 30% with minor errors, or does that include partial credit?

I have a critter like that. Handing him a calculator at this stage of the game could set you up for even worse problems. I'd sooner add basic drills to his day.

I agree with the graph paper recommendation though. Having my ds use a quad notebook for all math lessons really helped his neatness, which makes problems much easier to solve correctly.

I would be extremely hesitant to hand him a calculator.

I haven't been in this situation with a 7th grader, so please take my advice under consideration with a grain of salt. If it doesn't work for you, then please don't hold it against me.

Maybe splitting the test into 2 sessions or even 2 days so he can work fewer problems with greater attention. Maybe a short break, a brisk walk and a snack of brain food between the sessions could help with his attention, though you know your child and his individual needs best.

How is he doing on the daily assignments and practice? Maybe doing a few drill problems could help?

I know I read on this forum that someone said they started everyday with math drill for everyone and they kept it up for years, even after the facts had been mastered just because it made the rest of the math day go that much smoother.

What material/topics is he covering? I know you said grade 7, but what exactly does that mean?

He is working through Saxon 8/7 with pre-algebra this year. I do split his tests over two days already, so he is only doing 10 problems each day. I agree some math drills might help, but to add more into his schedule would send him into a tailspin. He is so easily overwhelmed. My greatest struggle with this boy is his rigid thinking patterns, so any change of schedule or expectations will literally set off an anxiety attack complete with hysterical crying and hyperventilating.

When he misses a problem due to arithmetic errors, are you counting off the whole problem or assigning half credit? In other words, is the 70% due to 70% of the problems being completely correct and the other 30% with minor errors, or does that include partial credit?

I cannot get this child to show his work, so assigning partial credit would be difficult. He does his work on the whiteboard and then writes the answer on his paper. If I could get him to show his work I could do this, but he really doesn't care about his grade!

If his mistakes are due to arithmetic errors, have him do his math on graph paper----one numeral per square. It really makes a difference for some kids!

I will try this, thanks!

Graph paper (with LARGE squares, if he writes messily) may work, as may turning the notebook paper sideways.

Another thing I would suggest is having him redo the problems he has done incorrectly, until they are correct. You do not have to assign points for this, but being able to do them correctly on the second try is a good sign that he does indeed get it. If he does not manage to correct them on the second or third try, work them with him.

Wow, I have a child like that. I finally vented to dh about it, he looked at it, and he was unhappy. He sat down with ds one day and made him rewrite every.single.problem (showing work) from the entire week's worth of lessons. He also took away all technology until he saw improvement. He wanted it neat and clean and he told him that if it wasn't or if he was missing too many problems then he was losing more technology time. It worked like magic. We use Saxon too and ds does a whole test in one sitting (and he is NOT a focused child) and he made a 95 on yesterday's test and a 100% on the one before that. All it took was getting dh involved and the loss of something he valued. Seriously, if it isn't an understanding problem and just a careless problem, start messin' with the things he loves and he should respond.