Menu

Any one used Sonlight with CC? Pros/cons?

bamagirl

I have not tried it, but CC does publish a book list every week that corresponds with the weekly history work. They have all the

Ages listed. The Director should be able to provide it when it's available. You should be able to combine your children with those books.

I used Sonlight with CC for our first three years with the program some years ago. I'm not a planner, and there was enough overlap here and there to make it worthwhile. At that time, the majority of people we knew in CC used Sonlight or Tapestry with the program. From what I've heard most use the resource list now. Your only disadvantage with Sonlight is that you won't match 1-1, and of course you have to evaluate whether the read-alouds and readers fit your students.

I discovered CC when I was first beginning to homeschool my kids. I had planned to flesh out the memory work with additional reading on whatever we were memorizing. Then I went to a homeschool convention, saw SL and that was it -- my dream curriculum.

Anyway, I did the CC memory work at home for about 4 years as a supplement, and used SL the whole time. It worked really well because we enjoyed SL so much and the CC memory work really boosted my son's confidence. Frankly, I think you could get the Everything You Need to Know About ... books that CC used to sell (still sells?) and read about the memory work as well, but since your kids are really young, I don't think I'd bother.

We already use the CC resource list, it's worked ok but sometimes it's hard to find the books when needed, and many times if I do get them they sit on the shelf. Sonlight has always intrigued me...I'm probably just trying to come up with an excuse to finally use it..lol. Thanks for your thoughts!

We already use the CC resource list, it's worked ok but sometimes it's hard to find the books when needed, and many times if I do get them they sit on the shelf. Sonlight has always intrigued me...I'm probably just trying to come up with an excuse to finally use it..lol. Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes, I'm a give-me-a-plan type of mom. If it involved buying a bunch of books and figuring out when to cover them, I don't get it done during the busy school year. We sometimes do that in the summer, but life is far less scheduled then.

I did mom-planned WTM and Tapestery before deciding that Sonlight was the way to go for the grade school years. When my oldest started Challenge A then I went to individual history with my younger one, but I have no regrets about the Sonlight years. My younger one did CLE history, BJUP history, and then Veritas history during the last three years of Foundations.