Menu

VP Bible and History Timeline Cards

lorisuewho

Next year I am using Genesis Through Joshua timeline cards (not the manual), and also the self-paced Old Testament and Ancient Egypt.

Here are my questions about the timeline cards:

1. Did you laminate them?

2. Did you combine them or practice the timelines separately?

3. Did you use the song CD?

4. Did you spread them across a wall or did you just pull them out like flash cards to flip through? (I don't think I have nearly enough room to hang them all up)

Thanks for your help as I get started planning.

I have not used them this way, but thought I'd throw out a comment based on what I have learned using my CC timeline cards.

If you do end up flipping them like flashcards, holepunch them in the BOTTOM, not the top. Two holes in the bottom with large round binder rings, and you can just drop each card as you say it. It is much easier to drop than to pick up to turn!

We use the cards and they are absolutely beautiful. We have ours thickly laminated and 3 hole punched on the side with rings, so the kids can look through them like a book (and they often do). Sometimes we take them off the rings and go over the order laying them out one by one. The history cards incorporate *some* of the Bible cards, but only the major ones. We did use the timeline song some. HTH!

I have not used them this way, but thought I'd throw out a comment based on what I have learned using my CC timeline cards.

If you do end up flipping them like flashcards, holepunch them in the BOTTOM, not the top. Two holes in the bottom with large round binder rings, and you can just drop each card as you say it. It is much easier to drop than to pick up to turn!

Thank you for this bottom hole punch idea!

We use the cards and they are absolutely beautiful. We have ours thickly laminated and 3 hole punched on the side with rings, so the kids can look through them like a book (and they often do). Sometimes we take them off the rings and go over the order laying them out one by one. The history cards incorporate *some* of the Bible cards, but only the major ones. We did use the timeline song some. HTH!

This is helpful; thank you! I need to figure out what kind of lamination I want to use.

Here are my questions about the timeline cards:

1. Did you laminate them? YES

2. Did you combine them or practice the timelines separately? Separately.

3. Did you use the song CD? No.

4. Did you spread them across a wall or did you just pull them out like flash cards to flip through? Both. Lots of memory games with them and then just flipping them. I didn't hole punch them. I have them upright in a rubbermaid shoebox bin. They are much more user friendly that way, imho.

We don't laminate them and they've held up really well! I do hold punch the top corner and put them on a ring.

For Genesis-Joshua I looked through and combined all the repeats so we weren't doing them twice in the year. I followed the History sequence and if there was a different Bible story, we would do Bible that week. For the first cycle there is *so* much overlap I thought it was overkill. We love all the songs, so we listen to it every day and have a dance party.

We don't laminate them either, I have them in the small page protectors, inside of a small three ring binder, I believe the size is 5x7. We use the classical conversations timeline song and listen to it a few times a day. We just flip through them.

Does the CC song work with VP cards? It's cheaper, so if so, I would like that!

1. Did you laminate them? No, I put them in half size sheet protectors and use a small binder. It's really easy to flip through them and they have stayed nice.

2. Did you combine them or practice the timelines separately? Keep them separate.

3. Did you use the song CD? We did the first year but not this year.

4. Did you spread them across a wall or did you just pull them out like flash cards to flip through? I keep them in the book but at the beginning and end of each year I pull them out, combine them and line them up on the floor for the visual effect and to reinforce the concept of the Bible/History timeline.

Thank you for all these responses. I never considered a small binder. More food for thought!

If you didn't use the song, did you just practice saying the title on the front of the card?

We don't sing the song. We do say the title of the card and I permanent markered the dates to the front of the card (sacrilage, I know), but I found I was memorizing the dates easilty because I was seeing them from the back, while the kids weren't.

I laminated the cards with 6"x 9" pockets (3 mils, round corners) and put these rings through the bottom of the lamination (shown below). I have five stacks of cards (x2) with rings for each year of the Bible/History cycles, and they're just placed on my book shelf. I tabbed the last card in each stack with a red post-it tab to identify it as such, and the card that we are currently studying gets a blue post-it tab (which gets moved to the next card each week), so they're easy to flip through.

post-2793-0-88342200-1364667090_thumb.jpg

We review the whole VP History timeline - CC style with hand motions - during memory work each week, and only the current year during our actual studies. As for the Bible timeline, when a test calls for my little man to list all the titles, scripture references, and dates studied so far (at the end of some of the tests in the TM - which is really just a student workbook), we just review them orally instead of writing them out. In short, we only review one cycle of the Bible timeline per year - the one we're scheduled to study, but we review all 5 cycles of the History timeline every year - regardless of which cycle is scheduled for in-depth study each year.

Yes, we use the song CDs during our actual studies for both Bible and History. However, we recite both without music when reviewing the History timeline during memory work and the Bible timeline at the end of a test.