Menu

Astronomy Books, DVDs, Courses?

I'm stuck about what to do next for ds13. He is interested in astronomy, and I am out of ideas.

He has watched; Understanding the Universe, and Cosomology:The History and Nature of Our Universe, both from the Great Courses. He loved these.

He has read Astronomy Today. His is in beginners algebra in math. So anything not math heavy would be good.

Any recommendations for courses, books, dvds. I can't use Netflix so dvds would be best.

What about a lab? Do you have access to dark skies? binoculars? a telescope?

My 8" Dob is currently on sale with free shipping, and it will see enough for a loooooooong time of observing: http://www.telescope...CFaUWMgodFTYACA

He could join the Astronomical League (you don't have to join to do the programs, but you get the awards if you join), and do some of these observing programs: http://www.astroleag.../observing.html . Some are naked eye, some with binocs, others require a tele.

This would be a great hands-on experience to go along with his head knowledge (if he isn't already doing it).

If he doesn't know his way around the night sky, he might want to first learn the constellations (using a good planisphere). Then he can begin looking for objects with binoculars--Astro League has some lists; I also recommend Sky and Telescope's Binocular Highlights. The Messier objects listed in the Astro League programs can be done with binocs (not all of them can be found with binocs, but many) or a tele. I love the Year Round Messier Marathon.

Other excellent books for under-the-sky experience: http://www.starsplit...-and-links.html

J

I just saw that you are in the southern hemisphere...so some of my links might not apply. I'd love to visit you and see your night sky!!!

Hi Jean,

He know the sky well, including the upsidedownness of it here, but he has lost interest in looking at the real sky, and prefers to read about it, I think I will encourage observing, maybe I should spring for a telescope, but they are really $$ here in Australia.

The Astronomical League looks great, even if he doesn't join he can still follow along. (edit to add) I have joined him up. They have a non-US option for Member-At Large.

He has binoculars, I will get him the Messier Marathon Guide.

Thanks for all the great ideas, and we would be happy to show you around if you ever make it Down Under!

Hi Jean,

He know the sky well, including the upsidedownness of it here, but he has lost interest in looking at the real sky, and prefers to read about it, I think I will encourage observing, maybe I should spring for a telescope, but they are really $$ here in Australia.

The Astronomical League looks great, even if he doesn't join he can still follow along. (edit to add) I have joined him up. They have a non-US option for Member-At Large.

He has binoculars, I will get him the Messier Marathon Guide.

Thanks for all the great ideas, and we would be happy to show you around if you ever make it Down Under!

Do any of the astronomical clubs in your area offer anything for your son? Our club has telescopes that we will train people to use, and then they can help us in our outreach programs. There is no better way to learn where things are in the sky than to have a group of people looking at you, waiting for you to find them something else to see! We also do binocular astronomy--we own a dozen binocs for people to use--all we need is for someone to haul them out and show people where they need to look in the sky with one of our laser pointers.

This might get him interested in being out under the sky if you have a group that offers anything like this.

Do you have any astronomy classes online that he could take?

Just brain-storming here. :-) Best wishes!

Jean

Do any of the astronomical clubs in your area offer anything for your son? Our club has telescopes that we will train people to use, and then they can help us in our outreach programs. There is no better way to learn where things are in the sky than to have a group of people looking at you, waiting for you to find them something else to see! We also do binocular astronomy--we own a dozen binocs for people to use--all we need is for someone to haul them out and show people where they need to look in the sky with one of our laser pointers.

This might get him interested in being out under the sky if you have a group that offers anything like this.

Do you have any astronomy classes online that he could take?

Just brain-storming here. :-) Best wishes!

Jean

Your brain-storming is better than mine!

Our nearest club is an hour drive, and its all adults. He doesn't feel at east there, so maybe when he is older. He would love to be around like minded people to share his passion, but he is still a little immature for just adults.

He tried https://www.coursera.org/course/introastro but found the math too hard. I'm open to suggestions for courses.

Studying astronomy is going to be dependent upon both math and physics. Since he is taking alg 1 and he has a passion for astronomy, I would recommend a conceptual physics as a science course and then add in shows like Through the Wormhole http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/through-the-wormhole

You might also want to check out the resources posted in this link:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/465235-space-math-nasa/#entry4851931

Studying astronomy is going to be dependent upon both math and physics. Since he is taking alg 1 and he has a passion for astronomy, I would recommend a conceptual physics as a science course and then add in shows like Through the Wormhole http://science.disco...gh-the-wormhole

Can you recommend any Conceptual Physics courses? I'm not even sure what that is? He is doing this course now, https://www.coursera.../howthingswork1, is that the kind of thing you mean? I need to work on the lingo.

Through the Wormhole looks good, I need to see if we can watch it here in Australia, darn international blocking!

Are these just a couple of minutes long each? If so I can watch them directly on this website.

No. They aired as hr long episodes, so in reality about 45 mins or so.

Also, conceptual physics courses are high school physics classes that do not require much math. Hewitt has the one that I read about the most. http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physics-Package-Edition-Hewitt/dp/0805391908

I have never taught it is as a course, but many people on here have. Try searching or asking about it.

Also, conceptual physics courses are high school physics classes that do not require much math. Hewitt has the one that I read about the most. http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0805391908

I have never taught it is as a course, but many people on here have. Try searching or asking about it.

I'll have a look, at least I know what conceptual physics is now!

Ds13 is interested in physics/astronomy also. :)

He is currently reading through Conceptual Physics. Great text with interesting exercises and activities.

He is watching, taking notes, and answering questions for Understanding Astronomy. We will only get through 1/2 of the 96 lectures this year.

We are part of the Big History pilot program. Much of this is about astronomy.

He went through McHenry's The Elements; chemistry is a big part of understanding astronomy. There is also the Cartoon Guide to Chemistry (and Physics) that your ds may enjoy.

DS watches tons of documentaries - mostly BBC. You can watch many of youtube - you just have to learn to find them! Has your son seen documentaries with Brian Cox, Brian Greene, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Jim Alkhalili and, of course, the great Carl Sagan (our family was sad when that one ended)? How the Universe works is also a good series. We recently enjoyed Light Fantastic. We also enjoy Stargazing Live and Sky at Night. We also watch a lot of math and chemistry documentaries. More dots get connected that way.

There are also great lectures/interviews by Richard Feynman, Paul Hewitt and Walter Lewin.

We love AstronomyCast (podcast). Awesome.

Ds also likes to read about famous physicists - Richard Feynman's Adventures of a Curious Character, Neil Degrasse Tyson's Urban Astrophysicist etc. Stephen Hawking's A Briefer History in Time is also accessible for 13 year olds. Ds just finished Martin Gardner's Relativity Simply Explained. And make sure your son is familiar with popular science fiction - astronomers make many references to books like Hitchhiker's Guide and other classics. :)

We subscribe to Scientific American. DS reads one (astronomy) article a week during school time, but he reads a lot more online during his own time.

We have opted to do AoPS math to stretch his mathematical thinking. It was a tough transition for a few weeks, but now he is very happy with it.

Oh - we also belong to an astronomy club. And, yes, it it almost an hour away and has only adults. He doesn't mind at all, though. It has been a great resource.

There are so many options! I am forgetting about a lot, I'm sure. He can also study specific subjects like relativity, quantum/particle physics (CERN), astrobiology, space exploration etc.

Enjoy!!

Ds13 is interested in physics/astronomy also. :)

Your son sounds like mine, maybe you could come over and get together, it would only take 24 hours :laugh:

We have/are doing a few things you have listed. We are also on the pilot for the Big History project. Ds13 loves it, it combines his two loves, astronomy and history. He says astronomy IS history! He also loves chemistry and we have completed McHenry's The Elements, and Carbon Chemistry. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty stuck about where to go with chemistry too. We loved the Cartoon guides too! He is also doing AOPS, along with LOF.

He loves everything by Stephen Hawkin, but hasn't read them in years, maybe he could reread. He also loves Neil Degrasse Tyson, but I don't have the others, thanks. I'll get those. He loved the Hitchhiker's guide, any others you can think of?

Great list of documentaries. I think you have name enough to keep us busy for a while! We have just finished Cosmology: The History and Nature of Our Universe, having previously completed Understanding the Universe. Ds loved these. They took him about 3 years to go through them all, but he enjoyed every minute of it. This was his astronomy 'course' and now it's over I was stuck, but thanks to all the recommendations here I think he will have enough to work on for a while.

I know nothing about the study of specific subjects like relativity, quantum/particle physics (CERN), astrobiology, space exploration. I think I may have to look into this. My poor brain.

Thanks for your great post, I am heading to Amazon now!

Hi IrishMum! Yes, our sons sound similar! I think this is the perfect set-up for a foreign exchange opportunity! ;)

I have been gathering titles of various documentaries for you. It's taking a long time and I have forgotten so many! Great Courses has NGT's My Favorite Universe (also available on youtube) and Inexplicable Universe. Particle Physics for the Non-Physicists is also on our list. I am sure there are others.

As far as Conceptual Physics, ds is only reading it this year. We are not doing the exercises and activities, although I wish we had time to do them. I cannot answer properly about the practice book, but I would assume it would be a good idea. I, too, am struggling with ideas for next year. In fact, I can't even go there yet. There is a Conceptual Chemistry book I hear good things about.

8FilltheHeart, Jen in NY and Regentrude know a lot about physics/astronomy and have been great resources for me.

Science Fiction books - try classics by Asimov, Verne, HG Wells, Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Vonnegut. Sagan's Contact is also good. He may also enjoy The Right Stuff and Rocket Boys. The last three books are movies as well. And, of course, Doctor Who, Star Trek and Star Wars are always mentioned!!

My brain hurts a lot, too, when trying to learn about this stuff! I keep plugging away, though. Ds absorbs WAY more than I do!!

Hopefully, an expert will chime in with better advice!!

I have been gathering titles of various documentaries for you. It's taking a long time and I have forgotten so many!

You are too kind, I have lots to go on. I also found a previous thread you started that was very helpful, the one where you were confused about names, LOL, you sounded like me. I see you have come a long way since then.

Yes, those ladies are very informative, I have been lapping up everything they have written on the subject.

Thanks!

You are too kind, I have lots to go on. I also found a previous thread you started that was very helpful, the one where you were confused about names, LOL, you sounded like me. I see you have come a long way since then.

Yes, those ladies are very informative, I have been lapping up everything they have written on the subject.

Thanks!

I remember that thread! It seemed like sooo long ago, but it wasn't at all!! LOL!!

And please, if you have any ideas for me, let me know (I have to check out that Great Courses Cosmology course you mentioned). Maybe we can keep in touch as we figure out next year's schedule...

And please, if you have any ideas for me, let me know (I have to check out that Great Courses Cosmology course you mentioned). Maybe we can keep in touch as we figure out next year's schedule...

For sure, I will PM you if I find anything fantastic!

FYI, My DS didn't love the Cosmology course as much as the Understanding the Universe, he didn't like the lecturer as much as Alex Filippenko, it was worth watching, but not a 10/10 recommendation. This is what he says, "The Cosmology one concentrates on the Big Bang, and the properties of the universe, and the Introduction by Flippenko is more about the stuff in the universe, galaxies, stars, planets."