Menu

Bob Jones Distance Learning

michaeljenn

We're using their Bible DVD program this year. The lessons are usually 5-10 minutes in length. They usually complete 2 workbook pages/lesson. Toward the end of the lesson, the teacher answers the workbook questions. It's a little on the dry side, but I think my kids are learning the material well. I do wish that they had a 4 day/week option for BJU. We're a bit behind for the year, since my kids are only home 4 days/week.

I have decided to go this route because my daughter loves the traditional approach. She has watched all the online samples and loved them. The more I have researched and looked at BJU, the more I really like it. It is heavy on critical thinking and has copywork(handwriting) dictation(spelling) and narration(science and heritage studies).. it just "looks" different. We have tried SOTW. MFW and Sonlight and she did not like those much at all. We then acquired BJU Heritage Studies 3 with the Activity Sheets and she has loved it. I also have picked out about 6 novels for her to read that goes with BJU 3 Heritage Studies and she enjoyed those as well.

I don't know if I will use every single video every day, but it is nice to know that they are there! I know I will use the Science, Math, English and Heritage studies videos for sure, but not for handwriting or spelling... or at least not all the time. The jury is still out about bible. I like what I see so far, so we may use the video for bible as well.

I also have realized that it is difficult to combine ages... way too much work to beef up or scale down. I just want them to have their own level that they truly understand!!

We tried two topics when they offered their sale a few months ago.

We ADORE the English3 class. It is hilarious and the teacher does a great job of walking the kids through all of the steps in the writing process. The kids will ask for it on Saturdays if we get a bit behind.

The Math3 class is okay. It is thorough, hands-on, and includes lots of review, which is great, but it is fairly dry. I use it on the first two days of a new chapter, and then for the chapter and cumulative review at the end. We ignore the rest and just work directly out of the Teacher's Manual.

We have been using both the Math and English programs at home for years, but this is our first step into the digital versions. All in all, I find them helpful. The program is complete without the videos, but it isn't quite as easy. I have to say that Ienjoy getting my dishes done while Mrs. Cox presents a fun way to review parts of speech for the 40th time.

We've only just started using it for English 10. Ds15 finds the videos a bit boring - but it is English. I'm finding it thorough and doable. Much better than when I was trying to flounder through it on my own. I do find that I have to check to make sure everything is done and mark the work so it's not completely independent that way.

I'm happy enough to use it for 3 or 4 subjects next year.

I don't have any experience with multiple kids using it, but a couple of friends have used it and enjoyed most aspects of it.

We are using Science 6. It has been a fabulous addition to our school day. I didn't think my son would be able to focus on a 'computer teacher' for 30-40 minutes per day, but the lessons are wonderful. The screen time is broken up with silent reading from the textbook. The teacher is engaging and thorough and there are many video clips included in Science 6. She does the experiments during class time, and she will occasionally tweak them to give a slightly different outcome. My son is excited about science and loves his class. I don't know how he would do with a full grade package, but I am seriously considering trying that for next year.