Menu

any recommendations on Health for prepubescents?

I have DD11 and DD8, both currently in a Christian private school, but we will be starting homeschool after the end of this school year. I've held off certain "changing bodies" and "facts of life" talks until we have them out of the school, to avoid any possible problems of things being repeated to classmates and the classmates' parents complaining. I know how I will have these specific talks with the kids, but I'd like to also blend in general Health lessons while I'm at it. We already have PE covered (a personal trainer for the DDs once a week, plans for Aikido once HS starts, swimming at the Grandparents'), but I want to cover the rest of Health in a coherent fashion, too. Anyone have any recommendations on books or other resources?

The classic for that age is the American Girls Care and Keeping of You book. Covers everything that happens to a girls body (hair/breast/period/developmenet) and how to take care of your skin and hair, without a single word about boys' bodies or sex. Your 11 y.o. might have more questions after that book, but it is complete for an 8 y.o.

--Janet

Thank you all! I'm kicking myself now for not thinking to check with them. My girls love American Girl (their grandmother keeps buying stuff there for them, so I haven't looked at what they offer). I'll check into those books.