Menu

Rod & Staff 7 (grammar & writing) & WWS (level 1) together: too much?

chocoholic

I welcome any "been there, done that" advice on this.

Next fall I will start Rod & Staff 7 (grammar & writing) with my 7th grader. Do you think it would be too ambitious or overkill to do R&S 7 along with Writing With Skill level 1 (and maybe even The Creative Writer)?

Too much writing for a 7th grader? I don't want to set us both up for failure or frustration, but all look like very good programs

I welcome any "been there, done that" advice on this.

Next fall I will start Rod & Staff 7 (grammar & writing) with my 7th grader. Do you think it would be too ambitious or overkill to do R&S 7 along with Writing With Skill level 1 (and maybe even The Creative Writer)?

Too much writing for a 7th grader? I don't want to set us both up for failure or frustration, but all look like very good programs

Not completely "been there, done that" but close (and soon to be closer.)

We have been doing R&S 7 along with IEW's Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course. I have WSS, have studied it, and we are going to be doing part of it for the last 7 weeks of this year.

My thoughts are that you could easily cut out some of the writing in R&S because it would be redundant. There is poetry, character sketch, descriptive writing, outlining, writing from outlines (and more, I think) in both curricula. I have only done the writing parts of R&S 7 that were not redundant in my second program.

Doing just the grammar and WSS would be completely doable. We do R&S 3x a week. If I were you, I'd schedule it Day 1, Day 2 and Day 5, as those are the comparatively lighter days in WSS.

My thoughts are that you could easily cut out some of the writing in R&S because it would be redundant. There is poetry, character sketch, descriptive writing, outlining, writing from outlines (and more, I think) in both curricula. I have only done the writing parts of R&S 7 that were not redundant in my second program.

Doing just the grammar and WSS would be completely doable. We do R&S 3x a week. If I were you, I'd schedule it Day 1, Day 2 and Day 5, as those are the comparatively lighter days in WSS.

Not much to add, but this is what I have done while using IEW with R&S with my DS.

• 4 months later...

It depends upon your child's learning ability and willingness to work.  I started WWS with my dd at the beginning of '12 and she's scheduled to finish it the second week of September.  She did R & S 5 for the 11/12 school year and R & S 7 for the 12/13 school year.  Some of the lessons in 7 are review, so we combined two lessons for those.  I did have her do the writing lessons in R & S as it gave her opportunity to apply skills she'd learned in WWS.  She struggled with some of the lessons in WWS, so they took longer than the suggested day to do them.  If you want to do The Creative Writer at the same time, I would plan to take more time to get through the books.