Menu

TOG Year One question

Hedgehogs4

I am cycling back around to year one of history next year. My DS will be 12, and we will be using TOG Ancients for his curriculum. My problem is that neither he nor I is especially fond of Ancient History and if I had my way we'd skip it all together. I know I don't want to do that though, so I am wondering what you have found to be the most interesting / fun / useful part of year one. We have already used years 3 & 4, so I am well-familiar with the system...

TIA

Kelly

Will this be your first time through Ancients with Tapestry? Ancients is not my area of interest and I was not looking forward to it when we did it the first time- so I was surprised at how much we really enjoyed it!!

Yes first time with Tapestry. Used SOTW before (which I enjoyed very much...I just don't have a real interest in picking at ancient history like we do with the other stuff).

It might be hard for to be sure of a favorite part with so many new books for Y1 after the"smoothing". I am still trying to decide how to approach next year for my DD13. I printed off a lot of the new Y1U1 last night to look over.

Is there one topic you like better than others? My DC always really enjoy Ancient Egypt, so we do a lot of extras with pharohs and archeological discoveries. One DD likes the Greeks and Romans more because of the wars so she does a lot of extra reading there. She also spends more time on their mythology.

Would you rather focus on one area, say more history, more literature, or more worldview to make it more interesting?

If it still just isn't going to be your favorite time period then you might decide to go bare bones and spend more time on other subjects. Make it work best for you.

There are a lot of documentaries for ancient times on Netflix. My oldest is just content to read the books (he's taking an online class with TOG and likes it), but my younger two like watching those documentaries. In Unit 3, there have been opportunities to focus on one person (it will say in the activity pages - pick one person to report on to your "class" or something like that). Ds #2 has really enjoyed making power point presentations for the topic of his choice. You may try some of that even if there is no one to present to. Boys having to do reports using technology makes it all go smoother.

Beth

Documentaries saved our Year 1 (not with TOG at time, but have now used TOG 2, 3 and will be using 4 next year). Also some hands on activities and field trips.

Set up a dig. So see a mummy at the museum. Do a camping trip this summer for a few days to see what it would feel like to "live off the land".

We also tied in Biology and animal studies. Really looked into disease and hygiene. How animals were used to help build society. Stuff like that. :)