Menu

Diabetic numbers

Night Elf

I'm not sure what they are called. What number is more important, the daily fasting morning glucose or the A1C? My mom was put back on Metformin because her daily glucose numbers were averaging 124, but her A1C was just within the normal range, somewhere in the 5's and she was told the top end was 6.1. She's really unhappy about the Metformin even though it's only once a day. She knows her eating has gotten bad since November but she would like to go back on a diabetic diet to see if she can come off the Metformin.

IMO A1C is more important, because it reflects overall glucose control for about the past 8 weeks. It's possible to have low AM fasting sugars but overall suboptimal glucose control. I think she should definitely go back to work on her diet and she may be able to come off the Metformin.

It would be great if she could test more often for at least a few weeks to see how her body is reacting to carbs. Testing once a day doesn't give her enough information. Also, the A1c is an overall average. I was told that it is for the previous 3 month period with more of an emphasis on the more recent period of time. So, she could be spiking much higher, but also have enough lows to keep the total number down. If possible she should be testing before eating, 1/2 hour after, 1 hour after, 1 1/2 hours after and 2 hours after.

It would be great if she could test more often for at least a few weeks to see how her body is reacting to carbs. Testing once a day doesn't give her enough information. Also, the A1c is an overall average. I was told that it is for the previous 3 month period with more of an emphasis on the more recent period of time. So, she could be spiking much higher, but also have enough lows to keep the total number down. If possible she should be testing before eating, 1/2 hour after, 1 hour after, 1 1/2 hours after and 2 hours after.

Oops, sorry I wasn't clear. She does test more often during the day but I got the impression the doctor was averaging her morning numbers. It was the way she talked but I could be mistaken. She told me that overall, her numbers can be as low as 109 and as high as 132 depending on the time of day. She knows how to eat, she just got into the holiday spirit in November and hasn't stopped. She ate appropriately for 3 years so I don't know what happened to her recently. She took herself off the Metformin the first time because she was maintaining through diet. I'm assuming she's going to do that again because she really hates being on it. I was just surprised that her A1C was in the good range and the doctor felt she needed to be on the Metformin. That's why I was asking.

I'm assuming these numbers are two hours after eating? They should be 120 or less at that time. I actually agree with her and wouldn't take the Metformin but I would be diligent on taking out or limiting carbs.

I agree w/ Jean. I wouldn't take it either. Her A1c is in the normal range- her numbers aren't that bad, and should be controlled w/ diet. Is there some other reason her doc is jumping to put her back on Metformin? Is there any way you can go w/ her to her next appt.?

I agree w/ Jean. I wouldn't take it either. Her A1c is in the normal range- her numbers aren't that bad, and should be controlled w/ diet. Is there some other reason her doc is jumping to put her back on Metformin? Is there any way you can go w/ her to her next appt.?

I called her and asked her to find the paperwork from the appt. She made a mistake on her A1C, it was 6.8. She's usually very good at asking questions but she was so nervous at that appt. because when the doctor's office called her to tell her the results were in, they asked her to make an appt. She was so nervous that her blood pressure was up. By the time she left, it was back down again. I don't know why she thought her A1C was in the 5. range. She's taking the Metformin but is going back to her diabetic diet and will reassess after a couple of months. She's only allowed 2 A1C's per year and she does them every 6 months. I don't know what her previous number was though. So that mystery is solved. :)