Menu

HOD Bigger

kagmypts

I am in the process of doing my planning for next year. I will have my 7 YO in Bigger exclusively while my 9 YO will use the history and science portions (with some extra WTM-style work). Consequently, I am reading the entire guide to figure out what supplemental books I want to use for my daughter. However as I am going through the guide, I had some questions about the "Artistic Expressions" box. Do your kids enjoy these, and do you find them to be helpful? Also, are there any projects that did not work? I am open to any other Bigger advice (things that worked, things that helped the day run smoothly, etc.) Thanks!

Sometimes we did them and sometimes we didn't. I'm not big on hands-on projects :) I generally let my child pick last year whether he did them or not.

Last year I had an 8yods doing Bigger and one of the things we did was turn the Science box into completely independent work - at least in general. I did help him if he needed help with an experiment or notebook page but he read by himself and at least started the activity on his own. I really think this helped him get ready for the independence built into the Preparing guide.

The Artistic Expression box was my son's favorite part of Bigger! (He loves anything hands-on). It was always easy for me to implement and only required basic supplies. They are quick and easy and fun for kiddos. When I dropped Bigger, the art box was what I missed the most. :)

We're using Bigger this year. My ds LOVES rotating box, esp the art. They've all turned out beautifully. He has a lovely portfolio of art, several projects that we framed and his clay projects displayed in his room. There's a supply list in the files of the HOD Yahoo group. That helped a lot with planning. I had all the supplies bought beforehand, so now we can just grab the needed items and go (things like clay, paint, a flashlight, food coloring, etc). I used the files for notebooking too, and The Monarch Room blog has some great character/verse cards to print.

So far, we've had pretty good luck with the projects working. The only one I remember them needing help on was the potato stamp. As simple as the projects are, my boys have loved them. I really love how they have something to do with what we've studied that week. I thought my 10 year old (who is already a great artist) would think those projects were silly, but he hasn't complained once. Bigger has been so much fun :) I agree with the previous poster that having things bought ahead really helps. I have found, however, that we really did have on hand most of what we needed.

We're using Bigger this year. My ds LOVES rotating box, esp the art. They've all turned out beautifully. He has a lovely portfolio of art, several projects that we framed and his clay projects displayed in his room. There's a supply list in the files of the HOD Yahoo group. That helped a lot with planning. I had all the supplies bought beforehand, so now we can just grab the needed items and go (things like clay, paint, a flashlight, food coloring, etc). I used the files for notebooking too, and The Monarch Room blog has some great character/verse cards to print.

Thank you! I have found the HOD Yahoo group to be invaluable. I have the materials listed printed, and I am in the process of creating a set of notebooking pages for each of my children!

Where did you get the notebook pages? I would love them!

Here's the Yahoo group where I got mine. The Bigger folder seems to me missing quite a few files at the moment.

http://groups.yahoo.... for His Glory/'

Actually this is the group I use, but I will keep the other one is case it helps you.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeschoolingHODMoms/files/Bigger%20Hearts%20for%20His%20Glory/