Menu

Well, for those of you who have been holding your breath, waiting to hear. . .

gandpsmommy

I finally made my decision about math. I decided to not buy a math curriculum for ds. We will play games, read number/counting books, do fun activities, etc. And if he really, really needs something, or begs to have his own math book, I might find a fun workbook.

I thought about dd's math situation off and on all day. I looked at what we will be doing in Miquon, what CWP we have left from Singapore 1. I looked at BJU and Horizons on the internet. I went back to the Righstart website and downloaded the level C lesson samples. I read them in detail. I looked at the scope and sequence for Level C. I talked to dh, and read some more on the RS website. And I decided that Rightstart is what we need for this year. I don't think I was expressing myself very articulately earlier today, but after looking at Level C more closely, I just *know*--I just have a Mommy sense--that this is what she needs. She needs me to be completely focused with her at math time. She needs something we can work with together.

And I am so relieved, and so excited! Woohoo, I have all of our curriculum purchased for this year! Now I can look at the calendar and plan our school year! And make a schedule! And feel prepared! Okay, enough celebrating. I need to go to bed! It is Almost 1:30am here and I am so not a late night person. I'll be regretting staying up this late at 5:15 when the alarm goes off!

Great! This is the first year I'm using a formal math program for my youngest -- 2nd and 3rd grade. Last year we used Evan Moor math workbooks (Basic Math Skills) with lots of hands-on. It went very well. And, now, I am excited about having one thing that is already programmed for me (Saxon math -- which I used with my eldest). I put my own science together and spend a lot of time on history, so it's nice that one thing will be very planned for me this year.

But, I felt sure last year that we should just take a less formal approach. For what it's worth, they both scored in the top 10 % on the IOWA in math, even without using a formal approach. I just wanted to encourage you that you can do it!

Yay for you on your decision! It does feel good to have the big things settled, doesn't it? I think you will enjoy RS for your dd. We have been using it from the beginning and I am very happy with it. I have also decided this year not to use a formal program with my youngest who will be starting K. In using RS with my oldest two, I am fairly well versed on how to teach math the RS way, so I am going to give it a shot. If it goes well, I will be doing it this way for her Grade 1 year as well.

Also, for your ds, you could use the booklist at the living math site ( if you hadn't thought of that already.)

Yay for you on your decision! It does feel good to have the big things settled, doesn't it? I think you will enjoy RS for your dd. We have been using it from the beginning and I am very happy with it. I have also decided this year not to use a formal program with my youngest who will be starting K. In using RS with my oldest two, I am fairly well versed on how to teach math the RS way, so I am going to give it a shot. If it goes well, I will be doing it this way for her Grade 1 year as well.

Also, for your ds, you could use the booklist at the living math site ( if you hadn't thought of that already.)

Thanks for the math books idea!