Menu

Isn't there an easier way?

Don't hold it against me but I'm having serious thoughts about continuing with Tapestry through high school.

My son LOVES reading but he's not having fun AT ALL with Tapestry's recommendations for this year. This happened last year also. He's asking me what good book can he read on his own.

Tapestry - it's ancient egyptian lit then the bible then selections from Gilgamesh, etc. etc. you know the list... It's really not Tapestry, I think this would be the case with any curricula we choose. I think he'd really like to be set loose in terms of literature but I'm afraid to move out.

Also, for history don't most schools require only two years of hs history? Tapestry has us do 4. I have read over and over again how people use Spielvogel and it's workbook type resource and that's really it other than some papers for composition.

By using something as in depth as TOG am I just making this whole process much harder than it has to be?

I love the benefit of worldview and philosophy all brought in together but if he's not enjoying it is it really helpful? And how do I know if it's a heart issue of diligence or a real lack of passion for what he's learning about?

There's a well springing up that I think many of you call unschooling isn't there?

I really think if I gave him a list of books to read for the year and after each book do some discussing and occasional papers he would be thrilled and read WAY more than I'd require him to. But, would that be enough for hs credit?

I'm very torn - I need the structure but he craves the freedom to read what he wants.

How can I reach a medium or do I just delete this post and keep plugging away? Just for info we're on week 4 or TOG yr 1. He's done fairly well so far but his heart is just - I don't know how to explain it - not into it.

Thanks for listening - I'm not even sure how you could help...

Stephanie

For example, my son is doing the middle ages this year. I assigned The Once and Future King to lighten things up after a particularly dry tome. Surprisingly he has adored Inferno--we continue to talk about it. I honestly thought Dante would be a chore!

I don't think you have to buy completely into one program or stick to a text. There is often a way to find a best of all possible worlds path to meander on.

Jane

I think you're definitely onto something here. I don't want to skip the richness of what we're using but it is a bit dry at some times.

Maybe I need to look back at WTM suggestions for this period and add in some of that and some totally non history related readings to keep his mind sparked.

thanks for the thoughts, I hope there are other suggestions as well. You all are so smart!

Shoot me, but I'm about to say that I think the Rhetoric Stage ("high school") should be about s t r e t c h i n g, about breaking OUT of one's comfort zone, to some extent. Not that every subject needs to be tortuous, but that nobody is going to get through a rigorous curriculum without some disliked assignments and subjects.

For me, in high school, it was Geometry and Algebra. Gag. But I had to do them, and I had to do well. It was a good "exercise."

Maybe it would help for you (and your son?) to look at the sequence in that sense -- as a workout, not always pleasant, but beneficial. You are his parent, you might have to just simply require him to read what he is not interested in. How many high schoolers have to do THAT? It's part of growing up and gaining the maturity to stick with something that isn't a party.

That said, the idea of a chronological, inclusive "Reading List," along with Discussion Assignments and Writing Assignments sounds like a way to increase your son's motivation by giving him some wiggle room -- you can decide which materials are "The Core," and then help him to add in some more interesting (to him) materials where they come into the timeline. He would be responsible for progressing at a reasonable pace through the readings/discussions/writings, and you would be responsible to supervise this, backing off maybe a bit more each year. It could help him to get through history and become a self-reliant learner at the same time. Plus, it's a compromise between absolute structure (for your benefit) and absolute freedom (what your son thinks he wants).

I hope this helps!

lots more arts and architecture and research into all sorts of topics related to the time period, with the opportunity to choose related books from the period (one/unit for highschool)...movies, etc. We use HistoryMakers (8th grade), and my son enjoys the readings I select (I know what he likes) and the research on scientists, inventions, and explorers. We both enjoy the movies, and I find lots of clips from Cosmeo that I add to each unit...we're studying about the 1600s, and we saw some clips last week on Peter the Great, Frederick the Great, and the Age of Reason...variety. Works for us...