Menu

Logic/critical thinking help, please

I haven't done logic/critical thinking with my ds, who will be twelve in May. I'm looking at books from the Critical Thinking Co, and can't figure out if we want Mind Benders, or Building Thinking Skills to start with, and which level of each! Or perhaps Perplexors from Mindware?

Any ideas on this? I know I want something secular, and not too heavy at this point. Thanks!

We've really liked the Mind Benders, but haven't tried the Building Thinking Skills for comparison. I think it's recommended you start with the lowest level of Mind Benders, even though they're really easy, to get in the habit of using the grids to solve the problems. We've started at the lowest level with our two oldest, even though they sail through them and can do some in their heads. Your nine year old might enjoy starting some of them too.

Erica in OR

We're doing BTS Level 2 and haven't really found it to be too tedious. In fact, I'd say that the number of problems for each new skill is about right. He sometimes has some difficulty and we work through it; sometimes he finds the skill set very easy and breezes through it quickly. I definitely recommend it, though when we're done I'm going to pick up something else for summer (we won't be going on to the next level).

Wanted to add that with the Mind Benders, we use a clear sheet protector that we cut along one side, and slide it over the page. They use a dry erase marker or Vis-a-Vis marker to solve the puzzle, then check their answer. Makes them usable for more than one person and not as laborious as copying out each grid by hand.

Erica

. . . I'm looking at books from the Critical Thinking Co, and can't figure out if we want Mind Benders, or Building Thinking Skills to start with, and which level of each! . . .

I vote for both, if possible. If only one is possible, I'm tempted to say Building Thinking Skills because of the variety. My dd enjoyed both of them, though.

Be sure to look at the sample pages to find the appropriate level of whichever one you decide to use.

We do Mind Benders and BTS. We do two Mind Benders a week and two pages of BTS per week. It will take us two years to go through BTS and I think we are doing two full MB books.

I like BTS because, as a former teacher, sometimes I notice some "school language" that I'm glad they are being exposed to. Little random things...I can't even think of an example. But we only spend five minutes a week on it! It's good exposure if your kids like workbooks.