Menu

Well Trained Chefs - Mayan Cocoa?

aggieamy

I was at this fantastic little spice shop near Denver and bought a few fun spices. One of them is Mayan Cocoa. DH and I just had a glass and we're not particularly enjoying it as a drink. It's spicy and a little "chewy". Any suggestions on what I could do with it? It's not bad - I just don't think having it as cocoa is it's best way of being served.

Here's the all important Mayan cocoa update that you've all been waiting for ...

DD made brownies tonight with it and they were unusual. They left a kind of orange oil on the plate after we ate them. It was the first time in her life that DD has ever left a brownie unfinished. DH and I didn't do that even though we didn't particularly like them. The good news now is that the bag is half gone. Tomorrow we try the mole!

PS - I didn't see blood listed at the spice shop. I'll have to check better next time. :)

is it raw? I buy raw Mayan cocoa for the health benefits. I mix it with coconut or almond milk and add cinnamon stevia. It is So good that way and it gives me a little pick me up. :)

I don't think it's raw. The package says it's a mix of Dutch cocoa, cinnamon, and chili peppers. Actually now I don't think it's actual Mayan anything.

That combo sounds tasty, but think about savory rather than sweet. Meat sauces, mole, seasoning for pork, that sort of thing.

Well, except for baked apples. It would probably be AMAZING sprinkled over sliced apples and baked. But I like chili peppers!

The orange oil under the brownies might be from the chiles.

I wonder if it is a preparation issue for the drink. I have seen on T.V. that they use a special carafe and a "whisk" called a champurrado to aerate Mexican hot chocolate. Wonder if that kind of prep would help.

molinilloimage.jpg

Along with the blood of course. :D

I was at this fantastic little spice shop near Denver and bought a few fun spices. One of them is Mayan Cocoa. DH and I just had a glass and we're not particularly enjoying it as a drink. It's spicy and a little "chewy". Any suggestions on what I could do with it? It's not bad - I just don't think having it as cocoa is it's best way of being served.

I have never heard of it and had to google. I think you were supposed to strain it.

Is it sweet at all? The only thing I can think of to do with it is make mole. That can be a bit time consuming, though.

What kind of cocoa were you hoping for?

The orange oil under the brownies might be from the chiles.

I wonder if it is a preparation issue for the drink. I have seen on T.V. that they use a special carafe and a "whisk" called a champurrado to aerate Mexican hot chocolate. Wonder if that kind of prep would help.

molinilloimage.jpg

Along with the blood of course. :D

Yikes, Noooo. :svengo: Different type of chocolate. LOL It was the first thing that came yo my mind as well. Until I saw the part about the chiles.

I have never heard of it and had to google. I think you were supposed to strain it.

Is it sweet at all? The only thing I can think of to do with it is make mole. That can be a bit time consuming, though.

What kind of cocoa were you hoping for?

It's not sweet at all. I was hoping for the kind that went well with milk and marshmallows.

DD made brownies tonight with it and they were unusual. They left a kind of orange oil on the plate after we ate them. It was the first time in her life that DD has ever left a brownie unfinished. DH and I didn't do that even though we didn't particularly like them. The good news now is that the bag is half gone.

Ewww--bummer about the brownies. I hope the mole works for you!

It's not sweet at all. I was hoping for the kind that went well with milk and marshmallows.

Were you looking for a Mexican style chocolate cocoa?

I know there is a brand sold stateside that is from Mexico.

http://www.tienditamex.com/products-page/edibles/ibarra-chocolate/

You may also be able to find Abuelita brand. They are pretty much the same. This is what my kids use for hot cocoa. You need to use a whisk, though. You may have some bits on the bottom, so a ladle is a good idea. It has a sweet cinnamon and chocolate flavor. I would say it is sweeter than what is sold in places like Oaxaca, but it is also because it is a retail brand. In Oaxaca there are similar chocolates sold that are made by the locals. Smooth and yummy.

oops. Tangent over. :p