Menu

Suggestions for Chemistry/Physics for an advanced Middle Schooler, Visual-Spatial Learner

Hi,

I am looking for a chemistry/physics/botany mix for my advanced science minded (visual-spatial learner) kid. This year my son was obsessed with the elements and the periodical table. We bought him the ELEMENTS: Visual Guide to the Periodical Table. He LOVES this book.

He has spent since Christmas time, collecting things around the house that has the elements, just like the book. We are going to bring this to a laid back science fair. He also has collected some books for adults from the used bookstore about Chemistry, so he has a good grasp of atoms/molecules and is trying to visualize with models in his head, how like water molecule, H2O, is connected. He even has drawn a picture.

There is the background. I have decided to ask him what he wants to learn next year for science (Grade 5). He says he wants to about Chemistry, more specifically atoms/molecules and such, physics, specifically Energy, and I want to throw in Botany because that would be our nature studies, so I will get something together separately to do in the Fall.

My son LOVES hand-on and experiments and making things. So, I was looking at Ellen McHenry’s Elements and Carbon Chemistry. I think he would enjoy making things like 3-D molecules and atoms and the comic strip. But I do not know if he would be in-depth for middle school chemistry.

I looked at CPO Physical Science and I like the student manual because it has a lot of visuals for presenting the information more to his level. I am not sure about the experiments

I am looking for ANY ideas for Chemistry and Physics for middle school that gears towards visual-spatial learners. Any experience with the above curriculum?

Maybe I should just do Chemsitry experiments all year like Thames and Kosmos??

Any intuitive thoughts are also welcomed :)

My oldest loved Ellen McHenry's chem programs the last time through the cycle. They are totally do-able by a kid working at a 5th grade level. My DS will do The Elements next year plus the new Memoria Press guide to Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry. I'm not sure whether or not he'll be ready for Carbon Chemistry because that one is harder. He'll also be tagging along with the experiments in Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry that his big sister will be doing next year.

I don't know of it is what you are looking for but at that age my science oriented boys enjoyed the Cartoon Guide to Physics and the Cartoon Guide to Chemistry.

Great, it's at our library. I am getting both. DS thinks it looks cool.

My oldest loved Ellen McHenry's chem programs the last time through the cycle. They are totally do-able by a kid working at a 5th grade level. My DS will do The Elements next year plus the new Memoria Press guide to Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry. I'm not sure whether or not he'll be ready for Carbon Chemistry because that one is harder. He'll also be tagging along with the experiments in Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry that his big sister will be doing next year.

Thank you CalmingTea=== I need to look at MP more. I have several of their books from MP and will definitely look at Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry!

This is my problem (regarding the BOLD in quote), he isn't a typical 5th Grader, atleast for science and math. We just went over what he wanted to say about his science project and he wants to talk about decay. Someohow I was confused from going from elements of the periodical table to talking about decaying atom. When he was finished my jar dropped because, after giving a very advanced academic explanation of decay, I was confused and wondered how is everyone, including 5 yrs old going to understand this. He then proceeded to speak in more plainly and give great SIMPLE examples that a child OR an adult (with no knowledge of science) able to understand complex science.

Think Fred Gauss from Life of Fred, a 5 yr old teaching complex math. THAT"S how it felt.

This is where I am stuck OR getting caught up thinking he needs to do complex science BUT maybe he just wants to mess around in the complex science of it all.

My Amazon has these titles in my cart (which WAY TOO MUCH):

Marie Curie Search Radium ( biography for science)

Asimov on Chemistry ( he LOVES Isaac Asimov stuff)

Physics Lab in the Home

Matter and Energy: Principles of Matter and Thermodynamics (Secrets of the Universe)

The Chemist Who Lost His Head: The Story of Antoine Laurent Lavoisier [

Janice VanCleave's Energy for Every Kid: Easy Activities That Make Learning Science Fun

Adventures With Atoms and Molecules: Chemistry Experiments for Young People - Book I

Exploring the World of Chemistry: From Ancient Metals to High-Speed Computers

Thinking Physics: Understandable Practical Reality (English Edition)

Exploring the World of Physics: From Simple Machines to Nuclear Energy

I REALLy need to find the time to read these books :svengo:

Hvae you considered a molcule building set? Something like this has been on my wish list for a while: http://www.indigo.com/models/molymod-molecular-model-sets.html

High-science interest DS9 used them in a microbiology class and loved them. They are wonderful for enabling the kids (as well as us adults) to visualize the structure of elements and compounds. Somewhat pricey, but fascinating.

My VSL is doing the CPO experiments in CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science this year with his brother. He will use the book in 5th grade and do Ellen McHenry's Chemistry the year before that. He will also do Ellen McHenry's botany. He has already done a botany study I put together with lots of hands-on activities and videos. I used a book for a spine. The book is quite detailed so you can skip parts or study it in depth.

Hvae you considered a molcule building set? Something like this has been on my wish list for a while: http://www.indigo.co...model-sets.html

[/Quote]

These are awesome!!!! You know, there is a magnetic kit for building which has spheres and sticks to make designs. I need to look into this more. Thanks.

Thank you WEHomeschool for the Botany study--- wonderful that you included the Protista Kingdom because he wants to do that next year, too. He wants to find a live Wooly Bear in the swampy area we found last year. Yikes!

Yes, I have been seriously looking at CPO Physical and started looking at the Student Manual and Experiments that I downloaded last week. I really like this because it looks really doable to me and covers the topics he is interested in.

We are big-time Ellen McHenry fans here. It looks like her Botany curriculum is still available for a free download: http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/homeschool-freedownloads/lifesciences-games/botany.php. I'd snag it quickly if you think you might want it. It's supposed to switched from free download to a curriculum available for purchase any day now.