Menu

Explode the Code 1-3 . . . need the manual?

BrandonMommy

I just remembered I have Explode the Code 1-3 on my bookshelf that I'd forgotten about (from a lot of homeschool books I got at a thrift store!) and while they look straightforward, I was wondering would I need or benefit from the teacher's manual?

I have used Explode the Code three times (oldest three kiddos) and have just started again this year with my fourth. I HAVE the Teachers' Manuals and have never used them. Your post made me go take a peek just to see what was in them...how sad is that?!? The Teachers' Manuals have some additional games and additional scripted lesson practice. I suppose if you didn't feel confident about your own knowledge of phonetic sounds it would be helpful.

When we got to the test areas I just made up my own sentences using words from the lessons. There are also periodically lessons where there are a list of words and you say one of the words, and the child circles the correct word. Without the manual you just need to pick the word yourself. I was always right at the elbow when we were working on those lessons, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Having looked at the manuals again now, I do not plan to use them this time around either.

Hope that helps.

I have never used a manual with them. I don't think I have any tm's for these, and I don't recall every looking at them, either! The only thing I can think of is that you may not be able to do pre-test,post-test. But otherwise the books are pretty straightforward. They're easy enough that the teacher's manual isn't necessary for checking the work.

I'll offer a different opinion...

If you want ETC to be your phonics instruction, then I'd recommend the guides. They give ideas for actually teaching the phonics sounds, suggestions for different learning modes, listening activities/phonological awareness, etc.

If you plan on using ETC as a supplement to another program, then no....I wouldn't get it.