Menu

Chemistry

Has anyone used Chemistry Professor Fundamentals of Chemistry? http://chemistryprofessor.com/introduction_to_chemistry.htm

We're using The Home Scientist Chemistry kit, so we're set for labs. I would really like to have a solid dvd chemistry program. I like Chemguy (http://www.cosmolearning.com/courses/junior-chemistry-with-chemguy/), but my son doesn't like it very much. Plus, I really would like a dvd program that came with written materials, like a workbook, and Chemguy doesn't have that.

Has anyone successfully done chemistry through a labs/dvd/workbook format instead of a textbook approach? I try to avoid textbooks as much as I can, but now that I'm hitting high school level, it's becoming more difficult. My son is only 13, so we're just looking for a first year high school course, not AP level.

Any input is appreciated!

You might want to look at the GPB website ( Georgia Public Broadcasting). They have a chemistry and Physics course. You would need the teacher cd which some have been able to order from gpb directly by calling. You can try an episode there!

The Georgia Public Broadcasting videos on physics have been great for us this year (in addition to the Hewitt curriculum we use). My son really understands the concepts - and there are note taking templates, worksheets, and labs recommended. Great free resource. I did try to get the answer keys, but never received a response, so that can be a bit tedious....

Thanks for the ideas. I have used the GPB videos, but I also got no response when I tried to get answers. For now I'm going to use Chemistry 101. I don't think it will have enough depth to be complete for high school, but it looks like it covers everything that I want him to have a firm grasp on this year.

Sorry - I missed this thread somehow!

I think I suggested Trivedi Chemistry to another poster in a different chem thread. I haven't used it personally but it comes as a multi-media DVD that has printable notes. Here's the link:

http://www.trivedichemistry.com/index.php/home-school-chemistry

The DVD is $69.99 (plus the cost of printing the notes, I suppose). I think it includes virtual labs as well. Seems like not a bad deal for the money.

Thanks for the ideas. I have used the GPB videos, but I also got no response when I tried to get answers. For now I'm going to use Chemistry 101. I don't think it will have enough depth to be complete for high school, but it looks like it covers everything that I want him to have a firm grasp on this year.

It took a month or two for my email inquery to be answered. I was told to buy an episode on amazon $29 and email them proof. They would then email answers for freefor both series.

Someone recently posted that they called the station and were sent the answers for $40. I would call. I gave up. Our problems smoothed out during my long wait so not worth the effort now!