Menu

Who started algebra 1 after MM6?

While MM6 contains a lot of prealgebra topics, I wouldn't characterize it as a prealgebra course. If I wanted to go from MM6 to algebra 1, I'd add to MM6, at a minimum, the following topics: arithmetic with exponents, square roots, the Pythagorean theorem, more work solving equations, and solving inequalities. I'd try to find some problems that pull together more concepts all at once (e.g. I might assign some practice problems in Alcumus).

(We went the other way, skipping parts of MM6 in favor of covering the topics in prealgebra)

While MM6 contains a lot of prealgebra topics, I wouldn't characterize it as a prealgebra course. If I wanted to go from MM6 to algebra 1, I'd add to MM6, at a minimum, the following topics: arithmetic with exponents, square roots, the Pythagorean theorem, more work solving equations, and solving inequalities. I'd try to find some problems that pull together more concepts all at once (e.g. I might assign some practice problems in Alcumus).

(We went the other way, skipping parts of MM6 in favor of covering the topics in prealgebra)

Not the OP, but what parts did you keep? I assume that you added the above.

Thanks,

Not the OP, but what parts did you keep? I assume that you added the above.

Thanks,

No , I did not take that route. we only did parts of MM6 (e.g. a little of ch 1, most of ch 2 ratios, some of the number theory lessons). Then we went to AoPS Prealgebra.

Wondering if doing AoPS after completing MM6 would be too much of the same?

AOPS is deeper and is a real prealgebra course, so while a few of the topics are the same, they aren't really comparable. If you are contemplating making such a transition, how much MM6 to do first would depend on your student.

AOPS is deeper and is a real prealgebra course, so while a few of the topics are the same, they aren't really comparable. If you are contemplating making such a transition, how much MM6 to do first would depend on your student.

So it sounds like we could still do all of MM6 and move onto AoPS pre-alg and still be challenged by the curric?

Ok, I have looked at AOPS several times, and I'm totally lost. I consider myself good at math, and AOPS stumps me. I tried 5 problems on Alcumus and missed them all. Either I actually just suck at math ... or I'm missing something. Can anyone shed some light on AOPS?

Tara

So it sounds like we could still do all of MM6 and move onto AoPS pre-alg and still be challenged by the curric?

yes

Ok, I have looked at AOPS several times, and I'm totally lost. I consider myself good at math, and AOPS stumps me. I tried 5 problems on Alcumus and missed them all. Either I actually just suck at math ... or I'm missing something. Can anyone shed some light on AOPS?

Tara

What did you have the topic set to in Alcumus? You'd want to deactivate all subjects but prealgebra, and then you might want the order of topics set to "follow the book."

Other than that, to quote the website:

The Art of Problem Solving curriculum is designed for high-performing math students in grades 6-12. Our texts emphasize the problem solving strategies needed for success in major national competitions, at top-tier colleges, and in the most competitive careers.

The Art of Problem Solving curriculum is designed for high-performing math students in grades 6-12. Our texts emphasize the problem solving strategies needed for success in major national competitions, at top-tier colleges, and in the most competitive careers.

Well, I went to a state school, majored in social work, and work in a beer store. I guess I'm not their target audience. :tongue_smilie:

Tara

No , I did not take that route. we only did parts of MM6 (e.g. a little of ch 1, most of ch 2 ratios, some of the number theory lessons). Then we went to AoPS Prealgebra.

Thanks for this! I want to do AoPS Pre-Algebra with my DD in place of MM6 and was trying to figure out if she'd miss anything or not. I appreciate this information!

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Well, I went to a state school, majored in social work, and work in a beer store. I guess I'm not their target audience. :tongue_smilie:

Tara

LOL :thumbup: :D :lol:

Derek Owens is a good middle of the road Pre-Algebra course. The videos are free. I don't recommend skipping Pre-A entirely. Though you could always accelerate a Pre-A course which you found redundant in parts. Chances are once started the new algebraic concepts will take time to absorb while the review may *possibly* be skipped or tested out of.

TabletClass is another solid Pre-A course which we are doing now. It has more actual algebraic content than most. I guarantee you will not find it overly redundant or too easy. They also have free videos here: http://homeschoolmathonline.com/