Menu

Are you doing less in the Language Arts category in these grades?

My oldest has finished our spelling & grammar programs (we use CHC for both) through the middle school levels, and I don't really see a need for her to continue either subject. She's a natural speller, getting lots of grammar through Latin (MP's Forms series), and reads a ton. As I'm planning out our next few weeks, that box in my planner is looking pretty bare. We're going to get back into IEW, but that and Latin are the only Language Arts subjects for her. I feel like there must be something I'm missing. Or do we just eventually do less in that category because they're already fluent and we can move on to other things?

Okay, tell me about literature - several people have mentioned transitioning to more of a focus there. She reads a LOT, mostly good stuff (her favorite book since she was 6 is Little Women), but we really don't discuss it. I did have her do a comprehension workbook last year, with some questions about the details and some opinion/discussion type questions, but more of the same seems like busywork.

She's definitely writing more, and I'm expecting a lot more out of her writing, so the grammar practice is more "applied" than when she was working through the grammar instruction books. I try to integrate that into other subjects, like the 5-question paragraphs for history or a research paper for science, so it doesn't show up in the "language" box even though it is practice.

Okay, tell me about literature - several people have mentioned transitioning to more of a focus there. She reads a LOT, mostly good stuff (her favorite book since she was 6 is Little Women), but we really don't discuss it. I did have her do a comprehension workbook last year, with some questions about the details and some opinion/discussion type questions, but more of the same seems like busywork.

She's definitely writing more, and I'm expecting a lot more out of her writing, so the grammar practice is more "applied" than when she was working through the grammar instruction books. I try to integrate that into other subjects, like the 5-question paragraphs for history or a research paper for science, so it doesn't show up in the "language" box even though it is practice.

You may have seen this before, but I really like SWB's advice on literary analysis: http://www.welltrain...en-to-teach-it/

We did a few things: we used Galore Park English, which includes analysis of passages from excellent literature; he often went on to read the full text afterwards. We also studied Lightning Literature 7 over two years. In addition, we did intensive study of a couple of Shakespeare plays, using simplified versions, films, and finally the text itself.

Laura

Well, after 6th grade we finished spelling and switched to vocabulary. We aren't stopping grammar until maybe after 9th grade. WWS has been quite a step up for composition so no time saved there. And, we also added in literature as a separate subject. We use Kolbe Literature.

So, no I haven't found we are doing less in the language arts.