Menu

Is it Too Late to Help a 7 year-old with a Poor Pencil Grip?

Purple Cat

My 7 year-old DD had an OT evaluation today. The OT said she isn't holding a pencil properly, but it was too late to do anything about it. That really isn't sounding right to me. I thought there were grips that helped correct improper pencil holds. Any experience or thoughts about this?

Thank you

My 7 year-old DD had an OT evaluation today. The OT said she isn't holding a pencil properly, but it was too late to do anything about it. That really isn't sounding right to me. I thought there were grips that helped correct improper pencil holds. Any experience or thoughts about this?

Thank you

What? too late :confused1: Dd is 10 and I reformed hers. You just have to be intentional and consistent. Be prepared for some fights. I had dd use PenAgain twist n write pencils for the last 8 months. The consistent positioning using that pencil got her used to a correct grip and carried over to "normal" pencils. I am now letting dd use Pilot frixion pens (eraseable gel pens) and she is holding them correct on her own.

Dd is being tested but I am 99% sure that the results will confirm that she is dysgraphic. She had the most awkward pencil grip I have ever seen, even though I had taught her a proper grip from the beginning. But I didn't fight her when her grip eroded, and the next thing I knew it was ingrained. If I can repair her grip at 10, I can't imagine that it would be too late for your dd. You may have to play with different grip devices. Find one and stick with it relentlessly. NO EXCEPTIONS. Good Luck.

Do you live near a parent teacher supply store? If you do, take your dd and let her try some there before purchasing. Otherwise, try an office supply store. You may have to buy several different packs of different types. It does seem like a waste, I know, but it is mostly trial and error. These were the best that we tried: the twist n write and one of the type you slide on pencils. These look good too. Try rainbow resource for some less expensive, smaller quantities.

That's ridiculous. Of course it's not too late. I can't believe the OT said that to you. :glare:

We tried different types of slide-on grips with DS, but he didn't really care for them. What worked best for him were the extra fat pencils, and constant vigilance and follow-up on my part to make sure his grip was correct. His grip is now fine. I'm sure that with time and dedicated focus, your DD's grip will be just fine too.

http://www.therapro....ools-C4245.aspx

It may take trying a few different grips or writing tools to find what works. Therapro is a catalog that I've used a lot to find various products used by therapists. Above is their link for writing grips and tools which you may find helpful. "PenAgain" and "Twist and Write" are interesting and kind of fun (same grip but one's a pen, one's a pencil). "The Claw" is another one I suggest you try. http://www.therapro....21651C4297.aspx The Claw takes time to get on and off, but it's an easy way to instantly get the feel for what a proper hold feels like.

Plus, a really simple trick and inexpensive trick to try is using really short crayons for art. A short writing instrument sometimes forces the correct tripod grip because there's not room for much else. With a seven year old girl, if she at all enjoys art, try using all those broken crayons, you might otherwise throw away with some coloring books or paper, and then see if she's able to correctly hold the crayons and draw.

• 3 weeks later...

My ds (with Down Syndrome) did not have a proper pencil grip at that age. His grip almost corrected itself when we had him start using the little golf pencils. Their hands can't be all over the pencil because there's less room. Ds is 11 now and his grip and printing is nicer than his older sister's. He still uses the golf pencils most of the time but when he uses a regular length pencil he maintains a proper grip .