Menu

Camping in Little Rock, AR

NotSoObvious

Pinnacle Mountain State Park. Checking with the DH on that selection. He lives in Little Rock, and I strongly, strongly suggest you detour the road construction. Let me get with him via text---seriously. People have died in that construction zone. I'll post back in a few minutes with where you need to get around.

Okay> Pinnacle Mountain State Park is off I 430 in Little Rock, about 10 miles down HWY 10. So not too far off, but perhaps a little out of your way. Not much, and that part of 430 isn't under any sort of construction.

NOW, here's how you get around the I 40 mess according to the DH who is in charge of that job. The detour goes as follows:

Get off I 40 at exit 202.

Turn south (left) on HW 33.

Go to HW 70 and turn right.

Go 10 miles to HW 63 north and turn right.

From there is is 3 miles back to I 40 and you will be past the construction.

He also says that the information for the detour is found on the website arkansashighways.com in the left section of the page that is marked Red Zones.

Hope that helps.

I don't remember the site, but a search on Arkansas State Parks should give you details on Pinnacle as to what kind of camp sites are available. That one is pretty big, so you should have everything from RV hookups to tent pads and maybe cabins. Can't say for sure on the cabins.

You'll be going within miles of my house if you are going west on 40. There is a little construction through my town, Russellville, but not enough to slow you down compared to that mess in LR.

Safe journey!

But pinnacle directs me to Maumelle, so I assume that's what she meant- I hope!

We are looking for the opposite of KOAs- quick, quiet, primitive is fine. Does that make sense? It's just for one night.

I found a good place in Nashville and a great place in Oklahoma City (outside of it). Little Rock is more difficult. Maybe we should just get a hotel in LR.

The directions she gave you will take you to Pinnacle Mountain. If you have time, definitely stop there. It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

My first thought was Burns Park in North Little Rock which is directly on I-40 so you don't have to leave your main route to find a place to stay. I wasn't sure if they had camping, but they do! Here is a link for more information: http://www.northlitt...ies.aspx?id=323

The Maumelle campground is also not too far off of I-40 so that is a good option as well.

I wasn't aware that they wouldn't let you camp on Pinnacle. I always see the signs for it and they show camping on them, so they must direct you to Maumelle.

If you wanted to come a little further west before stopping for the night--say about two hours to Russellville, I'd suggest staying at Lake Dardanelle State Park. It's probably not quite as primative, but I saw tent pads the last time I was out there. It is right off the Interstate and very quiet and I would expect, safe. I've seen people with their dogs there. It is by the lake so it might be a little cool at this time of year.

ETA: I have not been to Burns Park. Anything in North Little Rock...well, I just don't know. Some places are probably fine, others not and I'm not good at telling the difference.

arkansas.com also has a variety of camping sites listed: state parks, cor campgrounds.

I was looking at Maumelle. I'm not sure if they allow pets. Each campground is supposed to have a dog icon to show if pets are allowed and I didn't see one by Maumelle.