Menu

Meals on Wheels question

lisamarie

I thought volunteering for meals on wheels would be a nice, low key, easy way for me to volunteer along with my kids. Today I did a drive along on the route that I would be serving and am now questioning if this is the right thing for us. Mainly, when we stopped at two different residences, the smell of p*t was overwhelming. You could knock a person over with the smoke cloud. Not even in my college dorm days have I smelled it that bad.

Okay, I know that it's technically legal in MI for medicinal uses, and I assume that these people are using it legally. But what I'm not sure of is if this is something I want to expose my kids to just yet. They are 5, 7, and 9. I can't just leave my kids in the car while delivering to these residences because they're inside a senior housing complex that's set up like an apartment building.

I've thought about asking if there's a different route we could do that would be a little more suitable for my kids, but I'm guessing p*t usage isn't exactly something that volunteers are in the habit of reporting so headquarters probably won't know. So now I have to decide if I should go ahead and do this or take a pass. What would you do?

If you would be delivering to smoke-filled residences, then I would just ask about getting a different route due to the smoke. Whether the folks are smoking legal cigarettes with tobacco or legal cigarettes with mj, it's really all the same thing as far as explaining to kids. I personally hate the smell of both kinds of smoke and would ask for a different route if it bothered me.

I thought volunteering for meals on wheels would be a nice, low key, easy way for me to volunteer along with my kids. Today I did a drive along on the route that I would be serving and am now questioning if this is the right thing for us. Mainly, when we stopped at two different residences, the smell of p*t was overwhelming. You could knock a person over with the smoke cloud. Not even in my college dorm days have I smelled it that bad.

Okay, I know that it's technically legal in MI for medicinal uses, and I assume that these people are using it legally. But what I'm not sure of is if this is something I want to expose my kids to just yet. They are 5, 7, and 9. I can't just leave my kids in the car while delivering to these residences because they're inside a senior housing complex that's set up like an apartment building.

I've thought about asking if there's a different route we could do that would be a little more suitable for my kids, but I'm guessing p*t usage isn't exactly something that volunteers are in the habit of reporting so headquarters probably won't know. So now I have to decide if I should go ahead and do this or take a pass. What would you do?

I'd definitely ask for a different route and see if it is any better. I did MOW with my kids when they were little and we never encountered anything like this.

I think that smells are just part of the deal. You're going to encounter homes that smell like urine, cigar smoke, cat pee, pot, cigarettes, body odor, stinky food, you name it. Can I safely assume that you're just meeting these people at their doors, standing in the hallway and handing them their meal? You don't have to enter the apartments or stay for long, do you?

I think that smells are just part of the deal. You're going to encounter homes that smell like urine, cigar smoke, cat pee, pot, cigarettes, body odor, stinky food, you name it. Can I safely assume that you're just meeting these people at their doors, standing in the hallway and handing them their meal? You don't have to enter the apartments or stay for long, do you?

Yes, I only ever entered one home and it was because the lady was desperately lonely and needed me to spend some time with her.

I'd definitely ask for a different route and see if it is any better. I did MOW with my kids when they were little and we never encountered anything like this.

me too. years ago though, before legal pot was a possibility. I was always worried about the sketchy neighborhoods I went to.

Agreeing with the others that you should ask for a different route.