Menu

Talk me down from the ledge - Singapore Math arrived today!

KellyMama

I purchased a textbook and HIG (standards Ed 4a) from the classifieds. When it arrived today I almost had a panic attack - it just looks so teacher intensive and nothing like any math I've ever used or seen! Help! So many people here use and love this curriculum, I assume it cannot be rocket science to teach. Admittedly, I'm feeling under the weather today, so my DH pointed out it may not be the best day to evaluate curriculum ;) Still, any pointers or tips for a 'first time Singapore Math user' welcome! I plan to review the HIG in more detail tomorrow.

Don't try to read the "whole thing." Pick one or two sections-- start with the text, and read it-- really read it. Read the thought bubbles. Read the hints. Work through the examples and do the initial exercises. Don't even crack open the HIG until you have done this-- it will start to make sense, and you will realize, "Oh, okay, I can do this." Then you can open the HIG if you wish-- most people do seem to benefit from it.

But just remember, you don't have to teach the entire program at once; focus on the concepts being presented.

Singapore is pretty incremental, and I haven't seen it make any big leaps anywhere; we've used it from 2A through 5A so far; I'm a pretty math person, but this style of presentation is light-years away from the way I was taught any of these concepts, and when I take the time to look at it, I can kind of look it over and think, "Oh, right, that does make sense." Different does not have to mean scary :) It can be good, and in this case, it generally is.

Don't try to read the "whole thing." Pick one or two sections-- start with the text, and read it-- really read it. Read the thought bubbles. Read the hints. Work through the examples and do the initial exercises. Don't even crack open the HIG until you have done this-- it will start to make sense, and you will realize, "Oh, okay, I can do this." Then you can open the HIG if you wish-- most people do seem to benefit from it.

But just remember, you don't have to teach the entire program at once; focus on the concepts being presented.

Singapore is pretty incremental, and I haven't seen it make any big leaps anywhere; we've used it from 2A through 5A so far; I'm a pretty math person, but this style of presentation is light-years away from the way I was taught any of these concepts, and when I take the time to look at it, I can kind of look it over and think, "Oh, right, that does make sense." Different does not have to mean scary :) It can be good, and in this case, it generally is.

Good advice - but I will tell you, the joke in our house is that for me different = bad ;) so you hit the nail on the head there! I'm not generally afraid of math, especially not at this level, and the concept I read through did make sense. I really liked how they presented place values but I think what I'm most worried about is confusing my mathy son! He's 'getting it' just fine in Abeka - I got this for next year because it seemed like a more accelerated program for kids who enjoy math - now I'm concerned it will bamboozle him and mix up what he already knows. That sounds silly, probably, but he's such a 'creature of habit' I'm going to have to sell him on a new book. He was expecting to move onto Saxon like his sisters did - I'm just not sure that's the right path for him.

I did exactly what you described in your op except it was with 1A!

I boxed it back up and sent it back. I could not figure it out. at. all. My brain just didn't think that way about math.

Now I use Math in Focus. While it's Singapore style math, I understand how to teach it.

Hahaha ok well I'm so glad I'm not alone! I'm really going to give it a go when I don't feel sick. I also told my DH we should give our DS both textbooks (Saxon and Singapore) and see what he thinks!

Just take it one lesson at a time. Look at the Textbook and then read through the HIG for that chapter. It may not be as intimidating. Did you also get the student workbook?

Not yet - I wanted to evaluate the textbook before deciding if I needed the workbook or one of the other challenge books.

two things - first of all, did you do the pretest? Singapore is considered advanced and many kids need to drop a level when they switch to singapore

also, the bar method of doing problems is very different from what most americans have done. there are some very helpful videos

hmm, it looks like this only covers book 3A, but could still be a start for understanding the methods

using the bar method . . but you might want to go to earlier examples

two things - first of all, did you do the pretest? Singapore is considered advanced and many kids need to drop a level when they switch to singapore

also, the bar method of doing problems is very different from what most americans have done. there are some very helpful videos

hmm, it looks like this only covers book 3A, but could still be a start for understanding the methods

using the bar method . . but you might want to go to earlier examples

We did take the pretest - or I should admit that we started it and didn't finish it (seriously long pretest) but based on the portion he completed and the scope/sequence of his current book he's probably going to start with 3B or 4A - either scenario would include 4A which is why I went ahead and purchased it to review.

Thanks for the bar method links! I found the fraction (one about the dices) one to be really interesting. I think my DS will actually like that a lot! It is different but he's just starting fractions now so he's a blank canvas ;)

There is a bit of a learning curve with Singapore, but if you get stuck, the Math Mammoth single-topic "blue" worktexts are inexpensive and Maria Miller's explanations rock! I found generally 1 or 2 chapters per SM book I needed to supplement with MM between 3A & 5A (mostly those involving multi-digit multiplication, long division, and fractions). My DS is more "mathy" and he may not need as much supplementation with MM, but we haven't yet hit any of the tricky chapters.

Here are a few more resources for learning bar diagrams, from my blog. The problems are from Singapore math books, but "translated" into the appropriate story world:

Those are seriously awesome links! Thanks!