Menu

Can we compare Real Science Odyssey and Elemental Science

Hi, I am debating between Real Science Odyssey and elemental Science for next year. I would be doing chem with a 3rd and 5th grader. I was all set on elemental, but then I started worrying about he silliness of Fizz, bubble and flash, and the fact that I have been hearing some of the experiments don't work and are pricey to get the supplies.

Anyone have any advice? I do plan on getting the sample, I think you can print off the first few weeks lessons. Does RSO use a spine, or is it just their printed text? Anyone use the e-book version?

Thanks!

ElizabethRose :seeya: --- We need to talk at your Science Fair on March 14.....It looks like we are doing the samthing for Science and Langauge next year with a 5th Grader. I have done RSO Earth and Space and RSO Life Level 1. I wanted to do RSO Chemistry level 2 but it isn't available at the moment. I like RSO because it is alot "doable" altho I never managed to do everything there is to do for the year. For Life this year, I just focused deeply with the Animal Kingdom while following the Carlotte Mason model. The Earth and Space one, was alright. The planets system was alot of fun but again, I didn't use the whole book.

So, bottom line, I like the experiments and sheets for RSO and like I said, we only did one experiement in the Fizz, Bubble Flash that didn't work. The book (FB&Flash) is available at your library, if you want to look at it. Ds has the The Elements Book (the visual book) and found all things around the house that was on the periodical table. So, next year I want to do chemistry with more experiments with him.

RSO also has extensive book list so you can find appropiate reading materials for Grade 2 and/or Grade 5.

I also want to do Ellen Mchenry's Elements and Carbon Chemistry. http://ellenjmchenry...lements_c19.htm Apparently, these two do not take all year to do.

I haven't tried Elementary series so I am all :bigear:

BTW, you will be fine with just the e-book version. I bought the hard copy used for Life and Earth and Space but I am thinking of getting RSO Chem as an e-book. It doesn't have a spine but plenty of suggestions for books AND websites. (I forgot to add this in previous posts).

ElizabethRose :seeya: --- We need to talk at your Science Fair on March 14.....It looks like we are doing the samthing for Science and Langauge next year with a 5th Grader. I have done RSO Earth and Space and RSO Life Level 1. I wanted to do RSO Chemistry level 2 but it isn't available at the moment. I like RSO because it is alot "doable" altho I never managed to do everything there is to do for the year. For Life this year, I just focused deeply with the Animal Kingdom while following the Carlotte Mason model. The Earth and Space one, was alright. The planets system was alot of fun but again, I didn't use the whole book.

So, bottom line, I like the experiments and sheets for RSO and like I said, we only did one experiement in the Fizz, Bubble Flash that didn't work. The book (FB&Flash) is available at your library, if you want to look at it. Ds has the The Elements Book (the visual book) and found all things around the house that was on the periodical table. So, next year I want to do chemistry with more experiments with him.

RSO also has extensive book list so you can find appropiate reading materials for Grade 2 and/or Grade 5.

I also want to do Ellen Mchenry's Elements and Carbon Chemistry. http://ellenjmchenry...lements_c19.htm Apparently, these two do not take all year to do.

I haven't tried Elementary series so I am all :bigear:

Great, I can't wait to see them at the science fair. With fizz, bubble and flash, that was with elemental science, right? I did look at the book at the library and I don't like the look of it. It looks too silly to me. I also HATED Ellen McHenry. I hated it so much I threw it away, I couldn't imagine giving it to someone else. Now, I know most people LOVE it, but my dd found it infuriatingly silly.

BTW, you will be fine with just the e-book version. I bought the hard copy used for Life and Earth and Space but I am thinking of getting RSO Chem as an e-book. It doesn't have a spine but plenty of suggestions for books AND websites. (I forgot to add this in previous posts).

good to know about the e-book. I'm thinking I will only have to print out the student pages.

Great, I can't wait to see them at the science fair. With fizz, bubble and flash, that was with elemental science, right? I did look at the book at the library and I don't like the look of it. It looks too silly to me. I also HATED Ellen McHenry. I hated it so much I threw it away, I couldn't imagine giving it to someone else. Now, I know most people LOVE it, but my dd found it infuriatingly silly.

ACK! Good to know.