Menu

Rising 9th grader, high school plan.

I would appreciate any comments. She is a humanities loving, bright girl. She currently wants to go to schools like UNCCH or Baylor to study speech pathology. She has lots of experience with her brothers, so has long term thoughts at a young age. :) Can this be done in 8 hours a day? I have a tendancy to WAY overdo. She has several of volunteer activities with volleyball and theatre in some evenings.

9th:

Math – Chalkdust Geometry

Lang. Arts –

CLE English 1 Light Units

Laurel Tree Tutorials Writing

Vocabulary for the College Bound Student

Logic – Memoria Press Traditional 2

Science – Dive Biology and BJU w/SAT2

Together:

Latin- Third Form Latin

History – Early Modern: K 12 Human Odyssey Book 2 w/Truthquest Age of Revolution 1, part of Age of Revolution 2 commentary

10th:

Math – Chalkdust Algebra 2

Lang. Arts –

Rod and Staff English

Potters School Advanced Composition

Joy of Vocabulary

SAT vocabulary review

Logic – Memoria Press Material Logic

Science – Dive Chemistry w/BJU/Sat2

AP Psych

Together: Fourth Form

History – K12 Human Odyssey 3 w/ Truthquest part of Age of Revolution 2 and Age of Revolution 3 commentary

11th:

Chalkdust Precalculus

Belhaven High Scholars year 1

Memoria Press Classical Rhetoric with Aristotle

Latin- Memoria Press Latin 3 class

AP Chemistry

12th:

AP Calculus AB with Chalkdust and approved College Board syllabus or BC online

Belhaven High Scholars year 2

Spanish 1& 2– community college

AP Latin

AP Physics maybe just B

AP Music Theory (12 years of piano by then and many piano competitions including theory exams...)

Honestly, I think your 12th grade year is too much. If you add up the college credits that would be 35-43 college credits. In this area 24-30 credits is considered full time for fall/spring.

I have a question about your Latin though. Is Fourth Form Latin supposed to go directly into Henle Latin 3 or is MP putting together a Latin 3 class to follow Fourth Form? In my penciled long term plan I have Henle Latin 2 following Fourth Form but, I haven't seen the FF books. It would work out great for me if my dd could go directly from Fourth Form into Lukeion Latin 3.

Honestly, I think your 12th grade year is too much. If you add up the college credits that would be 35-43 college credits. In this area 24-30 credits is considered full time for fall/spring.

I have a question about your Latin though. Is Fourth Form Latin supposed to go directly into Henle Latin 3 or is MP putting together a Latin 3 class to follow Fourth Form? In my penciled long term plan I have Henle Latin 2 following Fourth Form but, I haven't seen the FF books. It would work out great for me if my dd could go directly from Fourth Form into Lukeion Latin 3.

I asked MP and the WTM boards about what to follow Fourth Form with. Hopefully that is right! You have to test into Lukeion.

She may have to squeeze Spanish in summer school. I am hoping it will be easy for her after Latin. I hope Music Theory will be easy for her. She has TONS of theory under her belt already. I thought 12th looked a little iffy myself. I would love for them to be done with foreign language before college. Spanish hurt my gpa my freshman year!

I asked MP and the WTM boards about what to follow Fourth Form with. Hopefully that is right! You have to test into Lukeion.

She may have to squeeze Spanish in summer school. I am hoping it will be easy for her after Latin. I hope Music Theory will be easy for her. She has TONS of theory under her belt already. I thought 12th looked a little iffy myself. I would love for them to be done with foreign language before college. Spanish hurt my gpa my freshman year!

I'm glad to hear that about FF Latin. I haven't seen the books yet, but maybe I can swap Wheelock assignments for the Henle assignments since that is what Lukeion uses. Our schedule is now looking better! :D

Spanish over the summer is a good idea. That is what many students I know do (although my dd has already said no. :rolleyes:) Here Spanish I and II are only offered as 5 credit hour classes so they take up a great deal of time during the regular school year. But they are always offered back to back in Summer A/B and most students say it is really intense, but they are glad to have fulfilled those ten hours over a single summer.

You might also consider emailing the Lukeion folks about how to transition to their program. They have been great this year, and I expect they would be happy to help you figure that out.

Thanks, I will call them as I also want their opinion on taking the SAT II in Latin after their Latin 3 class.

I would strongly suggest that you do not try to jump from Fourth Form to Latin 3. I went through Prima Latina, Latina Christiana I and II and First through Third form with my three girls and we are now doing a Latin 2 class. EVERYTHING in the Latin 2 class is new. Latin 3 is all about translation of original Latin works. The Latin translation in the Forms is minimal in my opinion and not based on orignial Latin. I think you should consider skipping Fourth Form and use something else like Wheelocks. My girls are doing the BYU high school Latin courses and use the textbook Latin for Americans. It has lots of translation practice to help prepare for Latin 3. They are currently in the 2nd year, 2nd semester of high school Latin and have learned way more grammar than they ever got in the Form books. I looked on the memoriapress website and it says that fourth form follows the same format at first form, so while I haven't seen a fourth form book, I have used all three of the others. I think the forms are good for younger Latin learners because they go slower, but at the high school level I would do something else. I am doing the Latin right along with my girls so I think I speak with some experience.

Good luck to you.

I don't want to cut and paste the Memoria Press response, but they said Henle 2 follows the Form series and is covered in Latin 3. The Form series = Henle 1, the complete grammar.

I still have my old Wheelocks. I was translating after 2 summer sessions after my freshman year. I think their slow and steady approach will be ok. She may have to ramp it up faster than her brother, but I'm here to help.

What is Belhaven Scholars? I have no idea what that is, so I can't really give great feedback. However, just keep in mind that generic answers are for generic children......so you really need to evaluate in terms of your own. ;)

My current 11th grader will be carrying a pretty intensive load next yr because that is what he wants to do. (He will also graduate from high school with 40+ high school credits). His sister could never have managed the equivalent load.

FWIW, I would wait and take the SAT2 chem after the AP course.

I'm not sure how prepared she will be for the Latin AP Memoria Press's materials. You should really ask around about that. Our ds is behind b/c we were using Latin Prep materials and not at fast enough pace to really get enough translations in this yr. I regret the choices I made for his Latin. Our dd is using the same materials, but she is only in 8th so it is not impacting her.

I have been asking Memoria Press about how to prepare for AP Latin in 12th. We really want college credit for Latin. She could double up Third and Fourth Form next year. It is a very easy subject for her so far. But the series really ramps up in Fourth I hear. I can email another provider like Lukeion to see what they suggest.

Belhaven High Scholars is a dual enrollment humanities program through Belhaven University and Potter's school. We are using it in place of Aps for histories, english and art history.

I will take your suggestion and switch Chem sat2 to after Ap Chem.

My daughter took HS Latin I, II, and III with Memoria Press (finishing in 2011). She wanted to continue with AP Latin, but was ill prepared to do so. We had to switch her to Lukeion Latin Year III fall of 2011 for yet another year of Latin prior to her being ready for AP Latin. (My son also had to repeat a year of Latin with Lukeion in order to get up to speed.) Wish I'd known. Lukeion is very rigorous and will prepare your student for the AP. They use a "college" text - Wheelock - vs. Henle which is more on the high school level. Dd is taking Lukeion AP Latin this year and is breezing through - after a tough year catching up in Lukeion Latin III.

My message here is that if AP Latin is a goal, you definitely want to make sure MP is going to prepare your student. I would discuss it with MP lest you repeat what our family experienced with them. Scott Piland was always very easy to communicate with and seemed really concerned for our situation. Maybe they have restructured their program with the AP in mind. If not, check out Lukeion. We have lots of experience with various online homeschool providers, and Lukeion is the best overall.

Lukeion is very rigorous and will prepare your student for the AP. They use a "college" text - Wheelock - vs. Henle which is more on the high school level. Dd is taking Lukeion AP Latin this year and is breezing through - after a tough year catching up in Lukeion Latin III.

:iagree:

If your child plans on taking the Latin AP, I would definitely think about switching to Lukeion. Imo, Memoria Press online Latin classes are great if you simply want your child to have a high school level Latin program where your child devotes about an hour a day to the subject.

For my kids, foreign language is simply a check the box subject, and I have been very happy with Memoria Press.

My middle son tried Lukeion Latin I last year. Like Memoria Press, the online instruction at Lukeion was great, but the time commitment was just more than we wanted him devoting to this subject.

I think the major factor between the two classes is what terricu said in her post: Lukeion uses a college text, while MP uses a high school textbook.

My daughter took HS Latin I, II, and III with Memoria Press (finishing in 2011). She wanted to continue with AP Latin, but was ill prepared to do so. We had to switch her to Lukeion Latin Year III fall of 2011 for yet another year of Latin prior to her being ready for AP Latin. (My son also had to repeat a year of Latin with Lukeion in order to get up to speed.) Wish I'd known. Lukeion is very rigorous and will prepare your student for the AP. They use a "college" text - Wheelock - vs. Henle which is more on the high school level. Dd is taking Lukeion AP Latin this year and is breezing through - after a tough year catching up in Lukeion Latin III.

My message here is that if AP Latin is a goal, you definitely want to make sure MP is going to prepare your student. I would discuss it with MP lest you repeat what our family experienced with them. Scott Piland was always very easy to communicate with and seemed really concerned for our situation. Maybe they have restructured their program with the AP in mind. If not, check out Lukeion. We have lots of experience with various online homeschool providers, and Lukeion is the best overall.

You have given me so much to think about. I didn't know we were in trouble with Latin.

Would you all recommend doubling up on Third and Fourth form in 9th and then moving to Lukeion in 10th? I hate to spend 4 years on online Latin classes when I will use the Form series with her younger brother. I emailed Lukeion to ask as well.

Ditto snowbellmom's answer. If your dc is very interested in Latin, and you like MP, call and discuss your concerns with them. It's been two years since we had our unfortunate revelation, and MP was just beginning to consider an AP prep plan at that time. It is possible that they have worked out the logistics by now. But I can say that if you want a sure thing for AP prep - go with Lukeion. Yes, definitely challenging, but probably not for the student who just wants a language ticket punched.

I talked with Amy Barr, and my husband and I decided to have her start Lukeion in 9th. Making to AP Latin is important to all of us.

Does anyone have anything to say a out any other subject in our plan? I never would have figured out Latin was a problem without your help!

I also think 12th grade looks like too much. Four AP classes seems like a lot to me. I would consider trying to move AP Music Theory to 11th grade. If possible, could you move AP Physics to 11th grade and AP Chemistry to 12th? I know ideally it would work out better to take AP Chemistry right after regular chemistry, but I think it would be less stressful to try to take 2 AP classes in 11th grade and 2 AP classes in 12th grade. My ds is planning on taking 2 every year in high school. By 12th grade he may take 3, but I would be hesitant to have him do more than that. I will say that while AP Chemistry has been time consuming, AP Computer Science has been his easiest class. Also, for 9th and 10th grade, do you have a literature list of the books you plan on having your daughter read. Perhaps you do and just didn't list it. I think you are off to a good start!

I can ask her teacher about AP Music Theory in 11th.

Belhaven is dual enrollment english, history and culture online.

I should probably keep Ap Chem after Bio and Chem. That was my 4 year science high school track too. :)