Menu

Core Knowledge Charter Schools

I have used K12 courses which are based on Core Knowledge and have been pretty impressed with them. I also have a great deal of respect for E. D. Hirsch, who founded Core Knowledge. So all of this is to say that if it were me, I'd take a serious look at the school.

Both of the charters we looked at use Core Knowledge, and both have fantastic track records. In a home environment I wouldn't want to be shackled to it, but in a school it can be invaluable. When I taught in Baltimore, it seemed like only the Core Knowledge schools were making any headway in closing the achievement gap. Our school, sadly, was not one of them.

As far as curriculum goes, CK is a time- tested, highly regarded program -- a great choice, IMO. But you do know that CK is only part of the program, don't you? CK does not include LA or math.

Questions I would ask

What LA, math programs?

Are the LA and math among the ones recommended by CK? (This info is on ck website.)

Will CK be implemented using packaged materials (like the Pearson books), or will teachers make their own lesson plans? (There are plenty of online plans to get teachers started.)

:iagree: with asking what programs they use and finding out more about their individual policies and school culture.

We have several core knowledge charters (probably more than five) in our district, and they all use Saxon for math, except for a new one opening this fall which will use Singapore. The one closest to our house is known for hours of homework per night, a very strict zero-tolerance discipline policy, and generally rigid rules. Others are moderate. They are not all the same.

:iagree: with asking what programs they use and finding out more about their individual policies and school culture.

We have several core knowledge charters (probably more than five) in our district, and they all use Saxon for math, except for a new one opening this fall which will use Singapore. The one closest to our house is known for hours of homework per night, a very strict zero-tolerance discipline policy, and generally rigid rules. Others are moderate. They are not all the same.

Nicely said. I love CK (as you can see from siggy), but I would look at the whole school package before jumping on board.

I was able to attend a parents info meeting a few nights ago and this is what I have so far. For math they are trying to decide between Saxon or Singapore. Reading Mastery will be used for LA. History, Geography, Visual Arts, Music, and Science will follow the Core knowledge Sequence.

On Friday, the core of the curriculum will be “Learn By Doing.†Students will be actively engaged in relevant, authentic experiences that reinforce academic lessons. When students can take concepts and skills learned in classroom instruction and apply them to life situations, they gain much needed connections between learning and the real world. Scholar will take advantage of corporate and community partnerships that bring real-world connections to the classroom.

Once in middle school students will begin having a 6 period day. Four of these six periods will be dedicated to the focused study of English, math, science, and social studies. The fifth period will provide students with a special of foreign language, art, or music. The sixth period will provide students will the opportunity to be introduced to additional STEM curriculum.

I was able to attend a parents info meeting a few nights ago and this is what I have so far. For math they are trying to decide between Saxon or Singapore. Reading Mastery will be used for LA. History, Geography, Visual Arts, Music, and Science will follow the Core knowledge Sequence.

On Friday, the core of the curriculum will be “Learn By Doing.†Students will be actively engaged in relevant, authentic experiences that reinforce academic lessons. When students can take concepts and skills learned in classroom instruction and apply them to life situations, they gain much needed connections between learning and the real world. Scholar will take advantage of corporate and community partnerships that bring real-world connections to the classroom.

Once in middle school students will begin having a 6 period day. Four of these six periods will be dedicated to the focused study of English, math, science, and social studies. The fifth period will provide students with a special of foreign language, art, or music. The sixth period will provide students will the opportunity to be introduced to additional STEM curriculum.

So, did you have a good feeling about i?

Overall I have somewhat of a good feeling about it. I get good vibes from the owner. She's very passionate about education and has years of experience as an educator. As a matter of fact her son and another board member son attend a very prestigious elementary school here and the both plan to pull them out and have them attend the Core Knowledge school.

Overall I have somewhat of a good feeling about it. I get good vibes from the owner. She's very passionate about education and has years of experience as an educator. As a matter of fact her son and another board member son attend a very prestigious elementary school here and the both plan to pull them out and have them attend the Core Knowledge school.

:hurray: :hurray: