Menu

Must Read Math BOOKS?

What are some books that the Hive recommends to students who are serious about studying Math?

I'm seriously considering changing my major to Mathematics and I would like to read up on it more.

I have found a few lists online, but would like to hear from the Hive as well.

Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

also Flatland by Abbott

Ian Stewart's Concepts of Modern Mathmatics and Devlin's Language of Mathematics.

I'm reading Journey Thru Genius, but am having difficulty getting into it because I'm not super fond of the biography stuff.

Here are several of my favorite math books. The first one helps you understand what it's like to do mathematics, and the others give you the opportunity to do some real mathematics for yourself:

Here are several of my favorite math books. The first one helps you understand what it's like to do mathematics, and the others give you the opportunity to do some real mathematics for yourself:

Thanks for mentioning the Lockhart book, I loved his Lament but always wondered about how you do what he suggests.

I agree with all the book suggestions above.

When I was in middle/high school and crying, I'd often head to Devlin's Language of Mathematics and read it just to get me back into a rational state of mind. Fermat's Enigma is a fun read (almost a "math novel"), and most certainly check out the PBS Nova video on Andrew Wiles while you're at it.

These aren't "books" in the traditional sense, but they're my other suggestions for adult math play-time:

Art of Problems Solving's Contest Books I and II are fun math problem books. I had my set out in the college dorms, and a friend neglected the rest of us for an hour of math solving on a Friday night. That's quite an endorsement.

Arthur Benjamin has some books (which I haven't read), and several Teaching Company courses you can find used on Amazon. (Joy of Mathematics is the place to start, you'll need the remote control handy to pause it every two minutes to play with all the math you've learned.) He also has some TED talks, although one is his more gimmicky mathemagic he does as a hobby. He's super energized in his speeches, and he is one of my favorite contemporary mathematicians because he talks about math the way that a six year old talks about Legos and dinosaurs.

Martin Gardner's puzzle math books are interesting too and because his books are older, they're now selling for pennies. He would challenge newspaper readers with difficult math problems (usually conceptual problems like the four-color problem, not computational problems), and then would publish the readers' responses to the problems. It's informative, but to be honest, it's a little bit more snooze-worthy than the prior responders' suggestions though. Recreational reading / puzzle solving.