Menu

Extra practice for Saxon Algebra 1/2?

I'm feeling like my son needs a little extra practice for some types of problems in the Saxon Algebra 1/2 book. He is on Lesson 84, and he's mostly doing well, but I'd sometimes like additional practice problems for certain types of problems. With Horizons, it was easy -- I could pull out some of the extra worksheets for practice, but it doesn't seem like there is anything like that for Saxon. I understand that there is constant review in Saxon, but sometimes just having one or two problems per lesson isn't enough to ingrain a concept. In the past, I've picked out problems he's already done in past lessons and have had him redo them for extra practice. I guess I could make up my own problems, but that's a PITA. So I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a source for extra practice problems. We're going to be taking a break from official school for a few weeks, so I'd like to find something he can do for extra practice while he's on break.

I use www.math-drills.com or Khan Academy's "practice" for those moments.

Thank you!

I'm also wondering about some kind of workbook or printable resource. We will be at our old house, cleaning out, and we won't have any internet there.

I'm wondering if I should just get the Horizons Algebra set for extra practice, although I don't really want to spend that much money if I can help it.

Glencoe algebra (McGraw-Hill) has a few workbooks in pdf formats. I'm not familiar with Saxon so I don't know how it correlate.

Algebra 1 Study Guide and Intervention Workbook

Algebra 1 Homework Practice Workbook

Algebra 2 Study Guide and Intervention Workbook (California Edition)

Algebra 2 Study Guide and Intervention Workbook

ETA:

Glencoe Pre-Algebra workbooks download page

Glencoe algebra (McGraw-Hill) has a few workbooks in pdf formats. I'm not familiar with Saxon so I don't know how it correlate.

Algebra 1 Study Guide and Intervention Workbook

Algebra 1 Homework Practice Workbook

Algebra 2 Study Guide and Intervention Workbook (California Edition)

Algebra 2 Study Guide and Intervention Workbook

ETA:

Glencoe Pre-Algebra workbooks download page

This is all so helpful. Thank you very much!

You'd want Horizons prealgebra to accompany Saxon 1/2. :001_smile:

College of the Redwoods prealgebra text is free to download. You can save it to your computer and just print the parts you need.

You know, I was looking at a few sample pages for both the Horizons pre-Algebra and Horizons Algebra, and the problems in the Algebra book seemed to be more similar to what he is currently working on. It might just be the few pages that were available for preview, though.

The Redwoods text you linked looks helpful.

The "Key to Algebra" series has some targeted topic workbooks. But I second Khan - that is where I send my LOF-reading DS when he needs to practice a topic.

I was looking at those on CBD, and I *almost* bought them earlier. It's just so hard to tell from the limited samples that are posted. I should probably just get them -- one of my boys should be able to use them.