Menu

REAL Science Odyssey vs. RS4K for astronomy

IceFairy

I tried to use REAL science Space this past year but was very disappointed. You would need to use lots of library books in order to bring it up to a level of curriculum. I have not used RS4K Astronomy so an not sure about this one. I did use their chemistry II but was unimpressed.

I have used some if Elemental Science and though the space science was okay, but we swtched to Apologia Astronomy midway through. Apologia was better as far as info wise went. I read aloud to dd from it and she did the lapbook from RR.

I think for a rising first grader RSO would be just fine if you add in library books and a few extra experiments here and there. RSO is quite basic and there isn't a ton of information but my little kids (5-7 yo) really like it. Some of the experiments don't work well (but I have has that happen in a lot of programs) but some have been really great. I've done Life, Chemistry, and we are now doing E&S (still on the earth part).

I think it depends where your little one is at. Mine is 6 and at grade level so the program works well. A more advanced student may find it a bit boring. :)

I like that it is all laid out and if I felt a week wasn't beefy enough or my child wanted to learn more we got out more library books or did more experiments from several if the books I have for my older kids. At least I had a good starting point that required little prep. I haven't had much issue not having supplies on hand but everyone is different in what they have kicking around the house. :)

I have never used RS4K.

We tried RSO this year, but it has proven to be a HUGE disappointment. You are left scrambling to find library books to fit the topic of the lesson, and even the experiments are just so-so. I think for very young children it is fine, but by the time you hit the mid-elementary years it just doesn't provide enough. I prefer RS4K since the reading is included and the experiments are very manageable. While I know it is only intended for 10 weeks of use, I've managed to stretch it out by doing the lesson one week and then the next week supplementing with a library book/science encyclopedia and a Janice VanCleave experiment.