Menu

Anyone used "The Reader's Journey" from Duke TIP?

• 1 month later...

I hadn't seen this program before. Are you considering doing the online program or just using the books and winging it? And, just out of curiosity, what other literature programs are you looking at? I've been toying with the idea of EIL once we hit 8th grade and maybe TTC before then.

I hadn't seen this program before. Are you considering doing the online program or just using the books and winging it? And, just out of curiosity, what other literature programs are you looking at? I've been toying with the idea of EIL once we hit 8th grade and maybe TTC before then.

We're likely not going to use the Reader's Journey I at this point, but it had been on my short list when I started this thread. I'd still like to know more about experiences with it (since who knows, I might change my mind again!). My plan had been to use the online program.

Now through 8th grade:

Currently, we are working on Classical mythology. I'm using the Vanidiver lectures from the Teaching Company and have just gotten a copy of Bolchazy-Carducci's Classical Mythology and More. Once we finish that, I'm going to use The Bible and Its Influence from the Bible Literacy Project (a text designed for use in secular high schools---need to plug holes in my daughter's familiarity with the Bible). Once that is completed, probably by Christmas, I expect to go into Windows to the World. While we are not Christian, I feel that one needs a good grounding in Classical mythology, Shakespeare and the Bible to be truly literate in Western culture (lit, architecture, art, etc) and I'm trying to cover holes before high school. I picked WttW because it has a good rep here and does focus on Biblical allusions as well as beginning lit analysis. There is a local class that uses WttW as well as additional novels for a full year and I like the teacher (she's my daughter's current writing teacher), so I haven't ruled out that option if we don't get as far as I'd hoped. We go year round, so we'll see what happens.

For 9th and beyond, I'm looking at a variety of things. EiL, some of the literature courses free at www.learner.org, maybe Kolbe Academy, Reader's Journey 2---I haven't yet narrowed it down and whatever we do may be a hybrid. We recently got her scores back from the ACT with Duke TIP and I'm thinking I really do need to ramp up a bit on what we're doing.

We're likely not going to use the Reader's Journey I at this point, but it had been on my short list when I started this thread. I'd still like to know more about experiences with it (since who knows, I might change my mind again!). My plan had been to use the online program.

Now through 8th grade:

Currently, we are working on Classical mythology. I'm using the Vanidiver lectures from the Teaching Company and have just gotten a copy of Bolchazy-Carducci's Classical Mythology and More. Once we finish that, I'm going to use The Bible and Its Influence from the Bible Literacy Project (a text designed for use in secular high schools---need to plug holes in my daughter's familiarity with the Bible). Once that is completed, probably by Christmas, I expect to go into Windows to the World. While we are not Christian, I feel that one needs a good grounding in Classical mythology, Shakespeare and the Bible to be truly literate in Western culture (lit, architecture, art, etc) and I'm trying to cover holes before high school. I picked WttW because it has a good rep here and does focus on Biblical allusions as well as beginning lit analysis. There is a local class that uses WttW as well as additional novels for a full year and I like the teacher (she's my daughter's current writing teacher), so I haven't ruled out that option if we don't get as far as I'd hoped. We go year round, so we'll see what happens.

For 9th and beyond, I'm looking at a variety of things. EiL, some of the literature courses free at www.learner.org, maybe Kolbe Academy, Reader's Journey 2---I haven't yet narrowed it down and whatever we do may be a hybrid. We recently got her scores back from the ACT with Duke TIP and I'm thinking I really do need to ramp up a bit on what we're doing.

Taking notes . . . thanks for sharing your plan!

Thanks for sharing your plan. I am leaning toward EIL for 8th and up. My dd11 will be a 6th grader so I have 2 years to try to prep her for that. I haven't yet watched Teaching the Classics (trying to find someone to borrow it from so I don't have to shell out the money for it) but I think that might be the way to go. I'm also planning on the Bible and It's Influence because we are not Christian. I think WttW might be a little *too* Christian for us,

I think WttW might be a little *too* Christian for us,

I am concerned it might prove to be so done in the class situation I mentioned, but I don't think it will be for us at home. I have a used copy of the teacher's guide and, in flipping through it, I remember thinking it wouldn't be too egregious, particularly after The Bible and Its Influence, but I haven't gone through it with a finetooth comb yet, either. I'm also finding that, as my daughter matures, I am a bit more willing to branch out into areas I might have avoided before (still not ever planning on anything from BJU, AiG or Apologia, though ;)). Lit is one of the areas in which I am more comfortable considering *some* more Christian-focused materials at this stage, if they seem the best fit for my overall needs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...