Menu

Scope and Sequence for WWS

And sort of in this vein, if anyone has time and wants to explain, what is the jist of where WWS2 is going? I opened up one of the beta lessons (because I've been receiving them all this time and haven't even looked at them), and it seemed VERY detailed. Actually, for a brief moment I had these flashbacks to the spiraling horror of CW. So what, in jist, is WWS2 doing? What's it building to?

lol .. I want to be in on this conversation when Lewelma answers you. ;-) I do have a few thoughts with my current experience with dd11 (6th grade) enrolled in PS and also afterschooling/beforeschooling with me in math & LA. They are NOT writing in PS. Hardly at all at this age. What they are doing is not very meaningful. They don't have a clue how to organize their thoughts beyond come up with 3 things to say and put an intro/conclusion on it that basically repeats what you just said.

When we initially started WWS1 last year I had reservations because I couldn't see the big picture, but I am understanding with WWS2 that all those 'parts' are being put together to make up a whole. I feel like the goal is to give the student tools from which they can pick from to organize their composition THEIR way. This of course would depend on the assignment, but there is a lot of freedom that comes from knowing WHAT you want to say, and having options for HOW to say it. I have certainly found a lot of value in it, and we are only on week 15 of WWS2.

Each level seems to build on what was learned from the previous ones, so that you are just delving more deeply into how you would go about your research. It gives you a map to follow so to speak for organizing your research and then presenting it. By the time you have done that extensive amount of research you should be well versed in your subject material. It feels like it is training the mind to ask the correct questions in order to fully develop a composition in science, history or a biographical sketch. Recently I noted how they are learning with regards to identifying Genus to include a small compare/contrast section in the composition. This just isn't the way kids are being taught how to write .. at least not in our dcs local school. It just makes sense that when you write about a topic you SHOULD be asking yourself these questions, only this is the first time I have ever been taught to do that!

Regardless of whether this type of writing is what is needed/required to write an essay with a strong thesis, I feel like it can only help to 'train' a student to organize their thoughts in this fashion, and be able to have something meaningful to say when they write. What dd11 is learning at school is less organized and more geared towards having a few points and then somehow growing it by fluffing it up until it reaches the specific # of words required. There is nothing there about actually teaching the student to THINK. They aren't asking themselves questions about their subject. It's certainly not been empowering, however we are just starting in her first year of middle school so I can't speak to the future.

I would love to hear more of a categorical explanation about exactly where WWS is going once it is fully complete. Will they be writing essays that can support a thesis? I would presume so, at the very least the student will be very adept at organizing their thoughts and having something real to say about the subject they are writing.

I think what I would like to know is how what is learned in all of the WWS levels then leads to the next Rhetoric level of academic writing. Basically what comes next? ;-) I am excited to keep going through it, and I realize that if a student has just the WWS levels under their belt they are going to be very well prepared, but it would be nice to figure out a game plan for what comes in high school. I plan to practice, practice the skills in WWS until they are second nature to my dc. It's all been very exciting and I has just taken a huge weight off my shoulders with regards to trying to teach them how to write.

Sorry! Maybe I should have started a new thread with OhElizabeth's initial question? It's a good one though and one I would love to discuss further with all of you.

I noted on Weeks 34-36 for the Final Project, SWB writes, "Over the course of this year, you’ve added new topoi to your arsenal of writing tools. You’ve also practiced more advanced note-taking and research skills. You’ve learned to brainstorm for your subject, and you’ve begun to see how different topoi can fit together to create a more interesting and complex composition."

So it feels like what we are working on currently with WWS2 Week 15 is the advanced note-taking and research skills that would be required to accurately and meaningfully write about a subject of your choice.

If I remember correctly I was planning to use CWs advanced rhetoric courses. However I also came across this today by SWB back in 2008! I also have the Horner 'Rhetoric' book. But .. aaah .. what I wouldn't give to see the high school course follow WWS!

http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/the-raving-writer/using-the-exercises-of-classical-rhetoric-in-high-school/