Menu

I have to fill in for 2 hours at co-op for Kindergarteners

Michelle My Bell

I teach in the Pre-K class at my co-op. I'm prepping my "T is for Tree" ideas right now. :) Here is a link to my pinterest collection for the class: http://pinterest.com/5wolfcubs/primary-track/

Are you teaching weekly? If so, you could have a theme to help focus your ideas. I'm just using the alphabet because I have an art book with a painting for each letter, but you could do numbers or colors or an animal or country or even a book -- FIAR-style. The kids do LOVE play dough and hide-n-seek with objects (like an Easter egg hunt).

Oh, and there is the new Pre-K and K board here also!

With two hours, I might do something like this, centered around a theme (winter, dinosaurs, shapes, whatever!)

15 minutes of "circle time"--stories and discussion

30 minutes of free play (Play Doh, puzzles, bean bag toss game, etc.)

15 minute lesson on your topic for the day (you could use a chalkboard, a felt board, concrete examples of whatever you're studying, etc.)

30 minute craft

15 minutes of action songs and/or finger plays

You could use the remaining 15 minutes for a snack and bathroom break, or simple worksheets, or some other little activity.

Do a google search for "Kindergarten themes" for lots of ideas!

Good luck! :)

I have several sets of magnetic letters. I separate them into two Tupperware boxes and have relay races of teams scoop up the letters a handful at a time and bring them to their table or their side of a long table. Then, each team works together to make words. Most kids can make their own name or help find letters even if they are not readers yet. This is a great game for the last 15 to 20 minutes of class, it gets them running around in a controlled manner and then working hands on. You could use scrabble tiles if you do not have enough magnetic letters. You play for 5 or 10 minutes, then count up words and play another round. You can also keep playing with less kids if someone is picked up early.

http://pinterest.com/christiejarrard/

Here are my Pinterest boards which have TONS of activities for kindergarteners. I have a little learners board, then separate ones for reading, writing, and arithmetic. One I pinned today was "build a number" using Easter eggs, you call out the number and the have to match the two correct egg halves. They could work in partners for this.