Menu

Adventures in America for 2nd grade?

Twilight Woods

Im loosely planning 2nd grade. Our main focus for first grade as well as second will be reading and reading well and math. DD still really is not interested in history. We tried SL and SOTW and it was not working for her...I was hoping someone can give me some feedback on this program. We school in the evening since I am currently working fulltime. Math, Reading/Phonics FLL and WWE, cursive are our main focus during the week and will continue until I no longer have to work FT. I keep History and Science for the weekends, which is currently interest led. We plan on using Sassafras Science for 2nd. I want to move away from intrest led to something with a schedule [for my sanity :) ]-the library has most of the boosk I would need. Our goal is for me to be done working when she hits 3rd grade I plan on starting SOTW in 3rd.

Thank you !

Are you referring to THE American Adventure Series (starting with The Mayflower Adventure, Plymouth Pioneers,...) or AN American Adventure series?

I use THE Amer Adv series with my 4th grader who isn't into History. He's definitely enjoying them - at times he even actually spends more time reading history than required.

I tried one of AN Amer Adv one and I wasn't impressed - long enough ago, though, that I can't remember what I didn't like.

Are you referring to THE American Adventure Series (starting with The Mayflower Adventure, Plymouth Pioneers,...) or AN American Adventure series?

I use THE Amer Adv series with my 4th grader who isn't into History. He's definitely enjoying them - at times he even actually spends more time reading history than required.

I tried one of AN Amer Adv one and I wasn't impressed - long enough ago, though, that I can't remember what I didn't like.

Elemental History American Adventures.

I'm using the Elemental History American Adventures with my 2nd grader this year. It is very easy for her to read the page herself and do a one sentence narration. The added coloring page and recommended books/crafts are good for when we want to use them. I've checked out a few library books thanks to those recommendations.

If your child can't read the page on his own, it's still a short one page reading assignment and doesn't take longer than 10 minutes to read together. I like the coloring of the states, too.

I'm using the Elemental History American Adventures with my 2nd grader this year. It is very easy for her to read the page herself and do a one sentence narration. The added coloring page and recommended books/crafts are good for when we want to use them. I've checked out a few library books thanks to those recommendations.

If your child can't read the page on his own, it's still a short one page reading assignment and doesn't take longer than 10 minutes to read together. I like the coloring of the states, too.

Thanks for sharing! We are definitly looking for easy but interesting with being able to pick and choose what books we want to read and crafts..... so I think we will go with this for 2nd.

It's actually called Adventures in America.

Ask me how I know? I called it the wrong thing all year....I'd tell daughter, "Get out your American Adventures....or is it Adventures in America....or whatever it is. What is it again??"

:lol:

I'm actually using it with my 3rd grader and we are really enjoying it. She loves the map work and putting a star sticker where the capital is. I got a pack of USA stickers from Rainbow Resource that has the state name, abbreviation, capital, state bird, flower, flag, etc...and she uses those on the pages too. I read the story to her as she follows along. We add in any other books we have on our shelf that goes along with what the story is about.

ETA: we don't usually do the craft project. We just do what we want to do and skip what we want to skip.

PSA: Rainbow Resource now carries Elemental History Adventures in America and also Elemental Science.

Ask me how I know? I called it the wrong thing all year....I'd tell daughter, "Get out your American Adventures....or is it Adventures in America....or whatever it is. What is it again??"

:lol:

I'm actually using it with my 3rd grader and we are really enjoying it. She loves the map work and putting a star sticker where the capital is. I got a pack of USA stickers from Rainbow Resource that has the state name, abbreviation, capital, state bird, flower, flag, etc...and she uses those on the pages too. I read the story to her as she follows along. We add in any other books we have on our shelf that goes along with what the story is about.

ETA: we don't usually do the craft project. We just do what we want to do and skip what we want to skip.

PSA: Rainbow Resource now carries Elemental History Adventures in America and also Elemental Science.

Thanks for that clarification... I fixed it in the title post... whoops! :) I will have to remember that.. I am debating if I want PDF or hard copy.....

Thanks for that clarification... I fixed it in the title post... whoops! :) I will have to remember that.. I am debating if I want PDF or hard copy.....

It's easy to do....like I said, I really did call it that since August. I kept telling myself...it's 3 words, not 2. I finally got it straight.

:001_smile:

I try to avoid digital and printing whenever possible...but that's just me.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest teach31x1

If you're referring to the American Adventure books (#1 is The Mayflower Adventure) that another person mentioned we have really enjoyed them. My 10 year old and I are currently using them as a read-a-loud during breakfast (she eats and I read :-). They have sparked her interest and we've both learned things we didn't know before.

We've done some activities and planned field trips around some of the topics but basically are just really enjoying the books. My oldest loved them also but my middle one wasn't drawn to them.

I'm not familiar with the other programs mentioned by similar names.

Happy reading!

It's very hard to google!

But that's what I'm doing for second grade. Elemental History Adventures in America. I'm doing the Elemental Science biology program as well. It seems like there are so many American history books, movies, etc designed for kids that I feel like even if it's a bust we'll use their basic outline to do something educational :)