Menu

Abeka maths

Guest princess33

Guest princess33

Hello everyone :)

Have decided to switch my youngest from saxon maths to Abeka's Arithmetic 1 but I am wondering if i have to get the teachers manual or can I get away with just the student book??

thnx for ur thoughts

:)

For the most part you can do without the teachers manual if you feel comfortable teaching how to introduce your child to math concepts. There are sections on the workpages that say write the number your teacher says, these are found in the teacher's book, but you can make them up. The teacher's manual or as it is called the curriculum/schedule also has review questions and oral work, again not necessary if you make your own review. The teachers key, which is the exact book as the workbook but with answers is not needed at this level.

We are using A Beka's K5 math curriculum right now, and I have found that the curriculum guide sometimes introduces new concepts before they show up on the worksheets. So we've been talking about (for example) time to the half-hour and practicing it on a play clock for a few lessons before she actually has to use that skill on a worksheet. If you're not using the curriculum guide, you may want to look ahead a few pages and see what new things you should be introducing before you get to them. (Obviously, I don't know for sure if the 1st grade curriculum works this way, but that's how it is for kindergarten.)