Menu

Should I be worried?

TraciWA

A week ago last Thursday my ds3 came down with a cough and by the evening had a fever of 103. Next day the fever broke and he improved. Then on the following Wed. or Thursday morning he had a temp of 102 and it went up to 103.5. Took him in on Friday and found he had a double ear infection. Started antibiotics and he seemed improved the next day. Yesterday he started sneezing and running a temp about 100. This afternoon 102. Very frustrating! He should be getting better, shouldn't he?

This happened to my ds back in October. My son had a virus that had obviously turned bacterial. I took him to the pediatrician and he said ds had a sinus infection and put him on amoxicillin. Ds seemed to improve a bit for a day or so but then he took a turn for the worse. His fever went back up and his cough worsened. I called the pediatrician and the nurse said it can take up to 72 hours to show improvement. After four days he wasn't better and took him back in. Ds had pneumonia. I knew he wasn't getting better after 24 hours.

Trust your gut momma!!!

Elise in NC

I'm not up on current antibiotic protocol, but wouldn't a child typically still be taking them a week later? IME, it's rare for antibiotics to provide relief in 24 hours. That's more likely the function of normal variability within ear infections. I try to be selective about antibiotic use, but when we do use it, I try to be compliant and take the entire prescribed amount over the recommended amount of days.

I'm not the person to ask, usually, about fever related concern. I see fevers as the body's way of responding to invasion and as such, I welcome the process. I do what I can to provide comfort, but I don't necessarily treat *fever*.

I'm not up on current antibiotic protocol, but wouldn't a child typically still be taking them a week later? IME, it's rare for antibiotics to provide relief in 24 hours. That's more likely the function of normal variability within ear infections. I try to be selective about antibiotic use, but when we do use it, I try to be compliant and take the entire prescribed amount over the recommended amount of days.

I'm not the person to ask, usually, about fever related concern. I see fevers as the body's way of responding to invasion and as such, I welcome the process. I do what I can to provide comfort, but I don't necessarily treat *fever*.

Yes I agree I was only treating it when it got to 102. Yes he is still on the antibiotic, day 5 of ten. I took him in because he just didn't seem to be getting better. Glad I did!