Menu

What are your fave independent curriculums

mamakven

Curriculums? curricula? anyway... My family is in kind of an extreme situation right now we just pulled out my three-year-old from public-school preschool. He has low functioning autism and needs to be attended to one-on-one all day long I'm struggling to manage everybody's schoolwork and I'm trying to switch to everything independent that I can so far we are using easy Peasy Homeschool and we really like it any other suggestions? thanks!

My favorite materials for using independently are:

Math: Teaching Textbooks

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

Writing: Essentials in Writing (just starting this so take a beginner's enthusiasm for what it is worth) (this can also include grammar depending how heavy you want grammar)

History: MOH with audio CDs

Science: Apologia in the upper grades (not sure of your childrens ages doesn't show on my mobile device). Haven't done an independent science in the younger grades.

Art: artpacs

Music: Rod and Staff

You might also want to look into ACE or SOS.

Thanks I forgot to add my children are in eighth-grade sixth-grade third-grade first-grade and preschool my third-grader has severe learning delays and my eighth-grader has pretty serious math delays so that affects what we choose as well. also we are Christian and prefer Christian curricula when possible but I am not strict about that

For your olders, I would recommend these for independent use:

Easy Grammar or Hake Grammar workbooks

Wordly Wise vocabulary workbooks

Jump-In! writing workbook

K12 Human Odyssey or Kingfisher World History Encyclopedia + documentaries + whatever type of writing output you prefer

Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia + TOPS middle school level science kits (can also buy the complete supply kits)

Teaching Textbooks for math, as someone already mentioned

library books/living books tied in with history topics to cover reading/lit

Independent things are harder to find for younger kids. Maybe Time4Learning? My DS really liked sheppardsoftware.com, fun4thebrain.com and freerice.com (these 3 websites are all free and cover a surprising number of subjects).

During times of crisis or stress, it is surprising how much a kid can learn from documentaries and non-fiction library books, so there's always that until you get a long-term plan in place.

Hugs to you and your family.

Thanks I forgot to add my children are in eighth-grade sixth-grade third-grade first-grade and preschool my third-grader has severe learning delays and my eighth-grader has pretty serious math delays so that affects what we choose as well. also we are Christian and prefer Christian curricula when possible but I am not strict about that

Apologia, MOH, ACE & SOS are all Christian. EIW is by a Christian author but the materials are not overtly so. TT is pretty generic and has a website for placement and samples. I am not sure how it would work for your math delayed but it has been a pretty good fit for all my kids including my non-mathy child who still need hand holding from me no matter what and my delayed reader because the lessons and problems are both written on the screen and read aloud to the child. While the initial cost is a bit pricy, it is nonconsumeable and can be use by all my children. If my child doesn't do well, I can delete the lesson and have them redo it.

:)

For your 3rd grader on up, Teaching Textbooks might be just the thing. I've known many people rave about it for their kids who were behind in math or math phobic...plus it's entirely self-directed, so that frees you up.

You can try to "bundle" the 6th and 8th grader and 1st and 3rd grader as much as you can which can be done with Sonlight as well as a host of other unit-type studies. By having an individual math...and perhaps individual reading/writing based on level.... you should be O.K.

For the 8th grader, I would sign him up with American School Correspondence School. It's far cheaper than you would think, as it's nonprofit and has been around for FOREVER. The general program starts out easy enough for 8th graders and then you can add college prep courses in as electives. Just write, "N/A homeschooled" when asked about 8th grade education, and stay vague and evasive about it. If you search, you will find threads here where I have written about my older son's success with American School.

For the younger ones, I like the Amish textbooks and ACE for students expected to work on their own. They were both designed to be used that way and successfully do the job. With ACE you can test each child, and place them in ungraded workbooks, and let them progress at their pace.

ACE is good prep for American School. Both AS and ACE are based on a quality public school model that is written to be completed in the amount of time that is comparable to their PS peers. If they work harder, they are rewarded for it with faster progression through the curriculum, rather than being artificially held back with prep-school standards and busywork.

EDIT: reading about the delays, I strongly recommend ACE over the Amish workbooks.

My favorite materials for using independently are:

Math: Teaching Textbooks

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

Writing: Essentials in Writing (just starting this so take a beginner's enthusiasm for what it is worth) (this can also include grammar depending how heavy you want grammar)

History: MOH with audio CDs

Science: Apologia in the upper grades (not sure of your childrens ages doesn't show on my mobile device). Haven't done an independent science in the younger grades.

Art: artpacs

Music: Rod and Staff

You might also want to look into ACE or SOS.

These are excellent suggestions.

Also, I have heard Weaver curriculum was designed for students doing independently when the authors wife passed away leaving him with 7 children to teach.

I personally did ACE my whole school life; it definitely works. My brothers did as well and they are a doctor and lawyer now.

These are excellent suggestions.

Also, I have heard Weaver curriculum was designed for students doing independently when the authors wife passed away leaving him with 7 children to teach.

Did you mean the Robinson Curriculum? Weaver is a unit study curric put out by Alpha Omega.

I personally did ACE my whole school life; it definitely works. My brothers did as well and they are a doctor and lawyer now.

I used ACE also from 6th to 12th. :)

Christian Light.

I had a period where I was dealing with long-distance eldercare issues and family medical problems, and one of mine used that for several years so that they could be mostly independent. My older one was already in paid classes and mostly independent.