Menu

"B List" books for audio books?

I'd like to get some more audio books for my kids. I wouldn't want to put the "greats" on audio book- I want to be sure we are reading Narnia and Wind in the Willows and such while we are cuddled up on the couch... but what are some good B list books that might be good in audio? So far, I've just got the Story of the World by Synge, and I also got the Just So Stories, which we've already read together. Any others? Maybe some of the other Jim Weiss ones that people have liked?

We aren't Jim Weiss fans here, so I can't recommend any of his books, but I know some people LOVE his work. Jim Dale is a very good reader, and Naxos has good stories that are combined with classical music, which DD has enjoyed. She's actually listening to a Naxos recording of Children of the New Forest right now. Other audio books we have enjoyed: Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales, the Ramona books read by Stockard Channing, Because of Winn-Dixie, the Little House on the Prairie series (read by Cherry Jones), The Secret Garden, Treasure Island (read by Alfred Molina), and the first three Harry Potter books. I also just downloaded a copy of Huckleberry Finn read by Elijah Wood that is very well done.

I'm looking at audio versions of Lassie, Come Home and Kidnapped, since I can't to a Scottish accent with any kind of consistency, and I prefer to listen to readers who have accents that correspond to the setting - British accents for stories set in the UK, for example. Karen Savage's version of The Railway Children (on Librivox) was much enjoyed here. DD also enjoyed her version of The Story of the Treasure Seekers. Peter Dennis does an excellent job with the Pooh books.

I'm told that E.B. White's books, read by the author are excellent. Roald Dahl's recordings of his books are good, too. The Hank the Cowdog series is read by the author, who does all the voices and sings the songs in each book.

Some general books that could be for now, they all have audio versions. But I haven't listened to them all

My Father's Dragon (Even if you done it, it's nice to have it on audio)

The Story of Doctor Dolittle

Pippi

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Raggedy Ann Stories

Winnie the Pooh and it's sequel

The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

Books by Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox was a favorite

Books for when they are a bit older

The 6 books in the Poppy series by Avi (I am pretty sure they are available in audio)

Tales from the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osbourne

Books from the Who was series (I know they have audio versions of them. I don't like reading them out loud due to strange people and place names. So I wish I could have the audio version)

Great Audio books, wonderful to listen to instead of read out loud

The Incredible Journey (My husbands favorite audio)

Thor's Wedding Day

The Cricket in Times Square

The Dealing with Dragon series (I love the audio)

And then the books I would never want to read out loud:

Swiss Family Robinson

Five Little Peppers

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths

Tim Curry's version of Peter Pan is awesome. It is really an A list to me but we listen to audiobooks everywhere. Also, the How to Train Your Dragon series read by David Tennet aka Dr. Who is beautiful.

Now. That I know he reads I will be ordering it immediately!!!!