Menu

French for 1rst grade in a home that knows very little french

Caterpiller

my husband and I would love to learn french because DH is actually 1/4 french. His grandmother ONLY speaks French, but sadly she isn't near us. Otherwise she would be an amaing resource! He didn't grow up living near her, and only learned to count and say fly swatter. hehehhe..

I'd really like something that we can all learn together at her level. We are fine with going slow so long as she gets the foundation she needs. Immersion seems the way to go at her age right? (she's 6.) A computer program is fine. Whatever it is though audio is obviously a must. I really need something that is going to be under $100. $40 or under is perfect, which i know is asking a lot. I'm ok with using used materials if we can find them too.

I really liked the idea of Power Glide, but I have read a lot of people here thought it was a waste, plus it costs $109. Any other ideas?

Pimsleur is too expensive, but definitely check to see if your library has the audio cds available. I didn't take any Spanish in highschool, then self-studied it for six months as an adult. All the phrases and sentences and grammar that flow naturally from my tongue all came from having played Pimsleur in my car (and no longer do I have an American pronunciation of the words). The rest of my studies have only been successful at contributing large amounts of vocabulary.

(It's worked, too, because my job requires me to talk to Spanish students/parents frequently and they understand me well. Again, I had zero years of Spanish prior to my self-study).

my husband and I would love to learn french because DH is actually 1/4 french. His grandmother ONLY speaks French, but sadly she isn't near us. Otherwise she would be an amaing resource! He didn't grow up living near her, and only learned to count and say fly swatter. hehehhe..

Any possibility of getting the grandmother on Skype? with the help of other relatives?

Joan