Menu

Swelling of the cheek after a cavity filling?

Tenaj

My 5yods had two cavities filled yesterday (both on the top if that matters). Today his whole check on one side is really swollen . . . it looks like he's blowing up his cheek with air! They had trouble numbing that tooth and used a lot of anesthesia on that side. I just looked in his mouth with a flashlight and it looks like he's been chewing on the side . . . it's all white and mangled.

The dentist is closed until Monday . . . I just called the emergency line but he hasn't returned the call yet so I'm wondering what, if anything, I can do to make sure this doesn't get worse. He says it doesn't hurt but I'm worried about infection.

I had this happen last month. Turns out I was allergic to the anesthetic they used. I puffed up like a blow fish and was pretty miserable for a while. I took a pain deliver and went to bed. The next day I was still swollen, but not as much as the day before. I went back to the dentist and they checked everything out and it was fine. They went over my allergies again (I have many) and I realized I hadn't written down one of the meds I'm allergic to and the anesthetic they used had a base in that. D'oh. I would call the dentist and get back in to see if there's a problem with the filling and if not, discuss the possibility of an allergic reaction.

I had this happen last month. Turns out I was allergic to the anesthetic they used. I puffed up like a blow fish and was pretty miserable for a while. I took a pain deliver and went to bed. The next day I was still swollen, but not as much as the day before. I went back to the dentist and they checked everything out and it was fine. They went over my allergies again (I have many) and I realized I hadn't written down one of the meds I'm allergic to and the anesthetic they used had a base in that. D'oh. I would call the dentist and get back in to see if there's a problem with the filling and if not, discuss the possibility of an allergic reaction.

On the same note, our dentist says DD doesn't metabolize meds like normal. One her chart now is a note stating she can only have a 1/2 dose. Was your son numb for hours past what is normal?

On the same note, our dentist says DD doesn't metabolize meds like normal. One her chart now is a note stating she can only have a 1/2 dose. Was your son numb for hours past what is normal?

I really don't know how long he was numb. He came home and said that it didn't feel numb but maybe he didn't know what that word meant? That's interesting that you mentioned not metabolizing meds like normal - I'm the same way and I have a terrible time convincing new drs. of this. Maybe my ds inherited the same problem.

I was wondering about an allergic reaction. He has never been on any meds before (not even antibiotics that I remember) so I think this is the first time we've had a chance for a reaction except for vaccines. The filling looks fine to my eye - like that means anything! - LOL. The dr. warned me that he actually had to remove a bit of the nerve (I forget the name for that) on the baby tooth because the cavity was so deep and that if ds had a lot of pain to contact him. He's not in pain at all - just playing like normal except for his swollen check so maybe I'm worried for nothing.

Gargle with salt (a teaspoon of salt in warm water) and than put a cold compress (ice cube wrap in a small face towel/hankerchief) on the swell if you want to. Sucking a small ice cube will help too. I have a delayed reaction to anesthesia so the dentist would have to numb me at least an hour before any painful dental work. Unfortunately I get the numbness and mild swelling the next day.

The dr. warned me that he actually had to remove a bit of the nerve (I forget the name for that) on the baby tooth because the cavity was so deep and that if ds had a lot of pain to contact him

It is a baby root canal treatment. For some people the gum area of the tooth and surrounding tooth might get temporarily inflamed.

It is a baby root canal treatment. For some people the gum area of the tooth and surrounding tooth might get temporarily inflamed.

Yes -he had a different name for it at the time but it was a baby root canal.

The dentist called back and said just to give Motrin for pain and rinse with salt water. Thanks!

My teenage daughter had that happen after getting a filling. Apparently if you bite the inside of your cheek it causes it to happen. It took several days for the swelling to go down (and her to stop freaking out :001_smile: )

Fortunately, he's too young to be freaked out though I did just catch him looking in the mirror and going side to side with his face comparing the two sides.