Menu

VP Omnibus Question

This may be a silly and or obvious question but because I am a classical education newbie I am going to ask it anyway! :w00t:

If you use Omnibus it covers History, Bible, and Literature right?

So if I added math, latin, logic, music and science I would have a well rounded school plan? Do I need to do an additional Lit course or add in the secondary reading from Omnibus?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Jenn

ETA: I would also have writing and grammar courses

Not sure.

I am so torn! I love the idea of Omnibus but I am so afraid of overwhelming my 7th grader. But as I look at other things I keep coming back to it. Ack! Why does choosing have to be so hard.

I keep bouncing back and forth between doing SL for 7th & 8th and starting Omnibus in 9th or just jumping into Omnibus in 7th.

I had just settled for SL when the self-paced Omnibus was released. :scared:

My brain hurts from bouncing it all around! :crying:

Jenn

Jenn- That is funny, because i am basically trying to decide between SL and Omnibus too. And I think they are quite different from each other. I am leaning towards Omnibus. I think my son needs a challenge and the reading in SL just won't do that. I still plan to give him some of the more fun reading from SL though to lighten the load a bit.

I was also told though that the reading level in Omni I is harder than than in Omni II and III. What part of history are you wanting to study?

We just watched one of the Omnibus sample videos this morning and he said he liked it. It seemed to load very slow for us, did anyone else have this problem?

They said we had a slow connection but we did not see any lag so not sure on that.

We are new to classical studies so we are kinda starting in the middle. Hannah has never done a 4 year history rotation. It has all been US history. The Christian school that she was in used Abeka and then we used Sonlight US history so we have no reference for the difficulty level.

I also, personally have never done the ancient so we would be learning together.

Jenn

And here I am planning to tweak Sonlight instead, to make it more rigorous. I already know the SL approach well and I am happy with the idea of adding a textbook and some biographies and stretching it out, rather than dealing with what I know will be theological differences in Omnibus as well as its much tougher classical literature. Of course, my kiddo is a 5th gr., not a 7th gr.

And you have been very helpful to me! :hurray: I just need to make a decision and go with it! Arrgh.

I still plan to give him some of the more fun reading from SL though to lighten the load a bit.

Just a heads-up that there is a TON of reading for Omni I Primary. My boys are taking Omni I online w/ VP this year. I had hoped to add some lighter reading also, but there is no way they'd be able to squeeze in anything more than they're already doing for that class.

If you do the self-paced, however, perhaps you could swap out some of the texts for something lighter and just skip those sections of the course that discuss the texts you swap out.

Jenn, You might have answered this somewhere else, but, if your daughter has never done a four year history cycle, have you considered doing the History Transitions course, if an online class is a possibility? It definitely takes a whirlwind trip through the 4 year cycle, but I think it gives the student a general sense of the progress of history and how the big events and characters fit together. Not only would she get a quick run through the 4 year cycle giving her a basis for her later history studies, but it would also help ramp her up to doing an Omnibus class, if you think that's the way you want to go.

Jenn, You might have answered this somewhere else, but, if your daughter has never done a four year history cycle, have you considered doing the History Transitions course, if an online class is a possibility? It definitely takes a whirlwind trip through the 4 year cycle, but I think it gives the student a general sense of the progress of history and how the big events and characters fit together. Not only would she get a quick run through the 4 year cycle giving her a basis for her later history studies, but it would also help ramp her up to doing an Omnibus class, if you think that's the way you want to go.

No I have never heard of this. Is it offered by VP? I would like to investigate it.

Jenn

Thanks by the way. :0)