Menu

Can energetic wiggly wild kids learn to play an instrument well..

My dd is just so wild and wiggly. She played piano for two years but the sitting was like torture for her. She started the flute but then she broke her arm falling out of a tree.

I'm just wondering if we are wasting our time. My dd is extremely social, never sits still and is never without an injury. (So far a concussion, two broken limbs and two sets of stitches and a sprained ankle, and fire ant 911 emergency.

We tried gymnastics and she loved it but was in it for 7 months and still could not do a cartwheel. I felt it was a waste of money and time. She also does swimming lessons and she likes it ok.

I would say she liked the flute and says she wants to continue when her arm is healed. ...

My youngest is super wiggly and he's playing piano and doing very well although he doesn't really sit still on the bench, ever. I came from a family of very active kids and we all learned an instrument. I am immensely appreciate of my mom for pushing us all through the lessons and practice times. It can be done.

We tried gymnastics and she loved it but was in it for 7 months and still could not do a cartwheel. I felt it was a waste of money and time.

I have one kid who sounds so similar to yours as far as energy levels. We have had her in gymnastics for almost 2 years now. She can do a cartwheel, but it's not pretty. And that is about the limit of her skills.

If your goal is for her to become a gymast, yes, it is a waste of time and money. But that's not my goal. Gymnastics seems to be the only thing that truly uses up ALL my kid's energy and leaves her feeling calm and ready to learn. I purposely schedule our hardest day for the morning after gymnastics day, b/c it is her best day as far as ability to sit. It's WORTH the time & money just for that. :)

If your daughter likes the flute, I'd say encourage her to continue. I think active kids can benefit from the concentration that playing an instrument requires. However, I would not force a kid to take lessons. My flute-playing daughter was very energetic as a 9yo. She is still active but also has good concentration and focus. I think music helped her mature in that way.

My dd loves the bass. One of the best things about it that she has to stand up to play. This is my dd that stands through half of her meals because she can't sit still. It is large, beautiful, heavy and takes a lot of work to play. It also never squeaks. My older chose the cello primarily because they SIT to play. But back to the little one - the bass is perfect for her because it is such a tactile instrument. She loves the way the music reverberates inside her when she plays.

I have one kid who sounds so similar to yours as far as energy levels. We have had her in gymnastics for almost 2 years now. She can do a cartwheel, but it's not pretty. And that is about the limit of her skills.

If your goal is for her to become a gymast, yes, it is a waste of time and money. But that's not my goal. Gymnastics seems to be the only thing that truly uses up ALL my kid's energy and leaves her feeling calm and ready to learn. I purposely schedule our hardest day for the morning after gymnastics day, b/c it is her best day as far as ability to sit. It's WORTH the time & money just for that. :)

That's true, if I were made of money we would continue. But for 90.00 per month ...? For a once per week class...

My dd loves the bass. One of the best things about it that she has to stand up to play. This is my dd that stands through half of her meals because she can't sit still. It is large, beautiful, heavy and takes a lot of work to play. It also never squeaks. My older chose the cello primarily because they SIT to play. But back to the little one - the bass is perfect for her because it is such a tactile instrument. She loves the way the music reverberates inside her when she plays.

Well this is why she is enjoying flute. She can sit or stand anywhere in the house. I think it'll go we'll after she gets her cast off.

My son is very wiggle and has trouble staying focused (he has ADHD). We plays violin and piano. I often get frustrated because he wiggles or sites in weird ways, and jumps from piece to piece. But this frustration comes mainly from the fact I played both those instruments as well, but my learning style was very different and I have a hard time understanding how he can learn without doing it the same way I did. His teacher is quite impressed with his progression though. I decided I would let him stand at the piano, or sit on the floor with his violin if that is what he wanted, as long as he was staying focused and working hard to learn/perform the techniques and pieces assigned him.

As an aside, DS has abdomen his arm twice which interrupted lessons, but he's back at it full force.

Also, remember WHY you are providing lessons nor your child. Are you wanting them to become a professional musician? Earn a music scholarship? Play in the community band or family band? For the secondary benefits to the growth of the mind? Or simply so that she can have fun with music? Keeping the answers to the WHY question in mind help me know when to persist, when to retreat, and when to just plug my ears and nod :-)