Menu

SnapCircuits on sale at amazon!

Based on the recommendations from this board, we just got the SnapCircuits Jr. set for our eight-year-old, figuring that we didn't want to invest a lot if it turned out not to be his thing. We quickly found that we need to upgrade -- he really loves them, and as a parent, I am super impressed with the set, its directions, clear layout, etc. So I went looking to see about upgrades vs. buying the full larger sets, and right now, the 750 set is on a really great sale at amazon. So is the 750 set that comes with the educational guides and nicer case. Just thought I'd pass that along for anyone who might be interested. (Yes, I'm aware that we'll have duplicates of the basic set, but with five children, I don't think that's a big problem.)

In case anyone wants to see the pricing trends, they are

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Elenco-SC-750-Snap-Circuits-Extreme/product/B0002AHQWS

and http://camelcamelcamel.com/Snap-Circuits-SC-750R-Student-Training/product/B000IXMP6Q

The prices are fairly low, but not an all-time low, so don't despair if you don't want to buy them right now

Thanks for posting this, Stripe. I didn't know this existed.

OP, our kids love Snap Circuits also.

Hmmm, debating. At Christmas the price was just a bit lower than this, but I couldn't get it then and I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait all year for it to drop again.

If I get the 750 with the case, do I need anything else? What about the battery eliminator? And the lights set? I'd like to get it all at the same time so that I only have to pay for shipping once.

Thank you so much for posting this. I need them for next year and I happen to have the $$ right now. Or, at least that is what the $ went for as of today. I appreciate you taking the time to share the sale. This allowed me to get a much nicer set than I had hoped to get.

You're quite welcome! I was laughing because we were just going to get the upgrades as needed, but this will save us money in the long run, plus get us the educational materials (and more importantly, a sturdy case, so hopefully it will last through five kids). After just two days of DS1 tinkering with the basic set, it's become one of those things I can't say enough good things about -- just the right balance of independent and parent-assistance for him (he just turned 8).

Hmmm, debating. At Christmas the price was just a bit lower than this, but I couldn't get it then and I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait all year for it to drop again.

If I get the 750 with the case, do I need anything else? What about the battery eliminator? And the lights set? I'd like to get it all at the same time so that I only have to pay for shipping once.

I'm really not sure. If you look at the site (snapcircuits.com, or .net), there are some details about what's in each upgrade, so maybe that will help. It looked to me like the lights set is separate from all of that, but I'm not quite sure. I also do not see the battery eliminator on the list of parts for the 750 set, but I could be missing it.

Ours just arrived today. I've never bought snap circuits before and this is quite a large box.

I am such a mean mom. The kids don't know what it is and I am hiding in the basement. We are using them for science next year (physical science) and I don't want them all used up etc before then.

I know, I am crazy. But, it gives me time to maybe save up and buy another set. My younger son will be 8, so maybe I should get a snap jr for him to start with?

Ours just arrived today. I've never bought snap circuits before and this is quite a large box.

I am such a mean mom. The kids don't know what it is and I am hiding in the basement. We are using them for science next year (physical science) and I don't want them all used up etc before then.

I know, I am crazy. But, it gives me time to maybe save up and buy another set. My younger son will be 8, so maybe I should get a snap jr for him to start with?

LOL, I'm probably not going to tell the kids that I got the big set for a while.

Re: the junior set. It's not junior in the sense of requiring less fine motor skill or being a different scale in size or something like that (not like Duplos vs. Legos or Monopoly, Jr.). It's just the first 30 pieces and first 100 projects in the whole line. If you have the big huge (750) set or any of the other sets, you already have all of the pieces/projects in the junior (100) set. I think it's just called the junior set because it's a good way to dip your toes into the SnapCircuits thing without spending a ton of money or having a lot of pieces that might be overwhelming to a younger child. So if you're pretty certain that you'll be using the big set with all of your children, including your 8yo, I wouldn't get the junior set (unless you want a second board and more pieces).