Menu

Rightstart? When a topic is suppose to take 2 or 3 days?

Depends on the child and my schedule. Many times my 3rd ds needed extra time or the worksheet was too much for one day so we would take another day. My 4th ds doesn't need the extra time to do most things. I have done many 2-3 day lessons in 1 day for him. When I do a second day, I usually just pick up where we left off. Sometimes they have a 2nd warm-up scheduled, so we will do that first.

Do you repeat the whole lesson again or do you just spread it out over 2 days? Do you ever do it in just 1 day?

I wouldn't repeat the whole lesson again unless the child was still really confused or didn't know how to do it after the first day. I always let my kids understanding of the material inform me as to when we should move on. Some lessons are scheduled for longer (I would assume) because they have longer worksheets, more activities, or are more complex. If we don't get through everything in one day (whether it is "supposed" to be a multi-day lesson or not), we just pick up where we left off the next day.

But many times (mostly with my very mathy K'er who has been flying through level B this year), a multi day lesson may only take one day, or we may even go through multiple "single day lessons" in one day if he understands the material and doesn't seem to need very many examples or practice problems. For example, we are in lessons 90-91 of B right now -- 4 digit adding. Lesson 90 is supposed to be FIVE DAYS of adding with the abacus. He asked if we could move right to paper method. He did the first problem perfectly, so we skipped the abacus 4 digit lessons. We're hanging out in the lessons 90-91 worksheets doing a couple practice problems a day and then playing games. But so far he has done every problem correctly, so I am not going to spend much more time here, even though we won't do every problem in the workbook. He's chomping at the bit to move on to subtraction. ;-)