Menu

Learning piano at home

happypamama

I would like my kids to learn at least some basic piano, and I wondered if anyone could recommend a book, DVD, or other decent way to teach them at home (either alongside me, though I don't know any piano either, or independently). I realize that lessons with a qualified teacher would be the best thing, but I cannot afford them at all (and simply do not have the ability to attempt any sort of barter, not with 2.3 little ones and a DH who works very long hours), so they're just not going to happen, and I would like *something* for them, even it's not the ideal.

Suggestions?

Just pick up a beginner book and stay a few lessons ahead of your kids. We use the Bastien series which has been around forever. Another pianist friend just recommended the Faber books as a good way to start. Make sure to give lots and lots and lots of time to good form and posture. It's not that hard to learn to play--but bad posture will come back to bite a kid who has the ability and opportunity to excel later.

I'm doing a combination of bastian and alfred piano for adults. (I switch back and forth during my practice time.) they give some good theroy in the begining that will help if you want to get your kids started. they go at a faster pace than the children's books. 1dd's friend teaches children and likes thompson for children.

be sure to read the information on which fingers and position - it will make things much easier down the road. I've a friend who was never taught proper fingering - now she just has to "fake" it. she's a joy to listen to, but she's also playing with a handicap of poor lessons in the begining and bad habits forming.