Menu

History of Us Editions? Newest?

Murrayshire

I urge you to take a look at the new *concise* edition of Hakim's A History of US that was put out by K12 last year. It is *much* better than the original version (and I know because I've read both versions aloud in their entirety!).

The reasons the concise version is better are:

• The pages are much less crowded
  • The images are beautiful
  • The narrative is much more coherent

I urge you to take a look at the new *concise* edition of Hakim's A History of US that was put out by K12 last year. It is *much* better than the original version (and I know because I've read both versions aloud in their entirety!).

The reasons the concise version is better are:

• The pages are much less crowded
  • The images are beautiful
  • The narrative is much more coherent

:iagree: This, exactly!

ETA: Here's a link to the first concise edition (A). There are 4 editions (A through D) in the complete set.

K12 uses Hakim in their program for 5th and 6th grade. So they may not be a very challenging read for an 8th grader, but I'd say still probably a higher reading level than SOTW3 and 4. I guess it depends on your DD. If she hasn't had much American history before, she'll probably still learn a lot.

Mmmmm. This is something to think about. My dd can read just about anything....and loves to read, read, read. So I would worry if it was a lower reading level but if the information itself is pretty indepth, then I may be alright with that. Do you think that it would be enough to prepare for high school? She may be attending our local high school for 9th. Again, thanks for your input......

Mmmmm. This is something to think about. My dd can read just about anything....and loves to read, read, read. So I would worry if it was a lower reading level but if the information itself is pretty indepth, then I may be alright with that. Do you think that it would be enough to prepare for high school? She may be attending our local high school for 9th. Again, thanks for your input......

The History of US is a middle school text. It's narrative style is engaging for a range.

Considering how much a typical PS middle schooler learns in American history, I would say she'd be plenty prepared for high school by using Hakim concise in 8th. I personally learned some new things from reading them. I'd say the content in the concise versions is about the same depth as the regular Hakim series, with much more editing to present the info more succinctly. In other words, I think the concise books cover the same ground, just done more efficiently.

If you think the depth of info presented of the regular Hakim books (maybe borrow one from the library?) will work for your DD in 8th, then the concise would probably be a good fit depth-wise as well. Plus the concise version would make it more do-able to get through the full set of 4 volumes in a school year.

Considering how much a typical PS middle schooler learns in American history, I would say she'd be plenty prepared for high school by using Hakim concise in 8th. I personally learned some new things from reading them. I'd say the content in the concise versions is about the same depth as the regular Hakim series, with much more editing to present the info more succinctly. In other words, I think the concise books cover the same ground, just done more efficiently.

If you think the depth of info presented of the regular Hakim books (maybe borrow one from the library?) will work for your DD in 8th, then the concise would probably be a good fit depth-wise as well. Plus the concise version would make it more do-able to get through the full set of 4 volumes in a school year.

This is exactly what I was after......Thank you, thank you! Now I've seen the plans of scheduling SOTW and History of US on Redshift but is there something like that for the Concise History of US & SOTW together?