Menu

COnsidering doing home daycare for one 4 year old boy, need input!

I am racking (or is it wracking?) my brain trying to figure out how to pay for *2* kids in competitive gymnastics- yikes. I really don't want to go back to my previous part time job, because the schedule at the gym changed and now practice ends at 7 pm, giving us our evenings back, so I don't want to work nights. I lite upon home daycare, before and after school. We have a big nice van, I live next to 5 elementary schools, smart me, huh?

I put a notice on Craigslist -which seems like a totally shady place to find childcare, but came highly recommended and low and behold- got an email already. Its to care for a 4 year old boy M-F, T-Th he wouldbe in preschool from 8:30-12:30, then with us until 3:30. Monday he would be here from 7 am to 3:30. Not what I envisioned, but now I am thinking it might work out better- evenings still free! We normally do school 4 days a week, our "off" day could be Monday, and he could just come with us to the park, field trips to museums, etc, if his mother okays that. And we'd have 4 solid hours for the intensive, hands on stuff with me while he's in preschool, then when he comes home its lunch, I can do read alouds,or science (we're doing a fun hodge-podge of science this year already) we can go to the park behind our house, and oldest DD can work on her independent subjects. We would have the late evening for more reading, etc if needed.

Am I missing something? This sounds really good to me. It may be harder to get our work done, but we'll just have to really buckle down those 4 free hours- that isn't so bad!

And- what should I charge? I was thinking $5 an hour, but that worked out to $132 a week- seems high. $100 a week seems reasonable, and then the extra driving (I would pick him up, but its 5 minutes away) and extra snacks/food requirment maybe $20, so $120 a week? Fair? Too much? Too little? Its just enough to pay for gymnastics- $460 amonth!

Anyone knowledgable want to chime in?

Sounds like it could work, esp. if you are willing to get him from preschool. 4 year olds can be a great deal of fun. Can you do a 1-2 week trial and see how that works? What would you/the mom do in case of illness--either his or your kids?

I'd do it.

And here is how I handle Ottakee's questions:

In my 'parent handbook,' I have/had parents sign that during the first two weeks, either of us could change our minds; that *I* would give 2 weeks notice but they could just be let out of the contract. After 2 weeks, they also must give 2 weeks notice (well, or at least pay those 2 weeks). SO if it DIDN"T work out, you'd only be "stuck" for 3-4 weeks tops.

The CONTRACT says it's the parent's job to have a backup in case of illness (mine, my kids, their kids, etc), however, I also DO try to have one....but again, it really IS their responsibility according to the contract.

I don't know where you live, CB, but I would look around to see what others are charging. I would not take less than $500 a month, every month--and I'd mark out the holidays you want, too. You could request the mom pack a snack or even a lunch, if you wanted, and not be out of line.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Oh, I didn't mention price....this is SO dependent on where you live.

If *I* were to charge $120 per week for a 4yo, I'd NEVER get a 4yo to watch. However, there are some places that that would be low-balling it big time!

What you might do is check around to see how much childcare runs in your area. Be competitive but don't underestimate yourself either.

I know that isn't much help, but....

Thanks for the input!

500$!?That just seems so high!I'm in Woodbridge, Va. I don't really know what to charge, simply because the only listed rates I find are for all-day care or infants, and of course that is much higher. Or for occasional sitting or nanny-ing, also higher. I worked it out at $5 an hour (hardly anything, but its from home, etc so that should count for something- I wouldn't work outside the home for twice that!) but that seemed high to me, too. But maybe not, lOL. I'll have to do more research.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am- it sounds really good. I love 4 year olds, and little boys. We can do preschool things and he can do science with us. My youngest was completely against any sort of craft activity, ever, so maybe he'll be up for it. A girl can hope. ;)

Thanks again! Still thinking on it, sick policy for example- if he's sick chances are whatever he has we've already been exposed to (most incubation & contagious periods are prior to symptoms) so really that doesn't much matter. I will draw up a contract (already found a few examples and dug out one I signed a million years ago when my oldest went to a home daycare!) and discuss that stuff with her.

Cami,

I had a couple from our church ask me if I would watch their 5yo dd this school year and do some homeschooling stuff with her. They're not too picky. They offered (young couple going to school) $460 a month, that's what's in their budget. I couldn't ask for more because of their situation, but that's pretty much on the mark for what is being charged in this area anyway. We have agreed to it, so now I need to figure out what I need to have them sign, etc. Anyone have forms that they require for this type of thing?

but I'll tell you that I've been watching one my my dd's friends for almost 2 years now and it hasn't been an easy trip all the time. If parents are late to pick her up or if mom tries to sit and chat with me it totally throws off dinner. There are a lot of things, and it was a decent experience, but I'd be wary. If you can possibly pay for gymnastics another way, I'd do it. It's really like adding another member to the family and we've had some tough days with it.